PDA

View Full Version : Nakashima-esque slab finishing?

Marc Myer
09-27-2007, 1:45 PM
I've nearly finished my first slab, well, almost. I just discovered Nakashima's beautiful slab work, and it fits with my concept.
It's wiliwili wood, about six feet long, and I used a clear lacquer, brushed on. But now I'm not sure what to do next. It has dried for three weeks and it's time to sand and spray some finish coats.
The slab will be used upright and will have a wood clock with 'floating ' gears on the surface.
Some questions:
-Would you choose a high-gloss surface, or a matte finish?
-How would you finish the back side? Lacquer also, or leave unfinished?
-And the edges--Right now, they are raw and still have some bark. While it's a matter of taste, I'm curious what you think. Should I use a wire wheel to remove and then sand to a more polished appearance?

Jim Becker
09-27-2007, 3:08 PM
Nakashima's pieces have a relatively low sheen, so if you want to keep a similar feel, that's the way to go. There is no real need to finish the back side if it will not be visible, but I typically put at least shellac on the back "just because". I generally remove the bark on this kind of work. Unless it's fully intact, it may look funky anyway...and just under the bark is where creatures like to live...