PDA

View Full Version : Question about which plane to get next

Barry Beech
09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I have been looking alot lately at old planes and have bought a stanley #5 and a stanley #6. I have a new record #4 that I am not too impressed with. It's ok but I think I like the old stuff better. :rolleyes: The next ones that I was looking at was either a #7 or a #4.

What do ya'll think?

I am basically building up my arsenal and learning the neander ways. I will still use my tools with tails, but am looking to expand my base.

Ken Werner
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I'd suggest that you not buy more big planes yet, and use the money to buy a new and excellent block plane, either a LN or LV, low angle. Once you use a really good plane, with a well honed quality blade, you'll have a better idea of what to strive for as you fine tune your older Stanleys.

'tis a slippery slope you have entered...

Barry Beech
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I do have a LN #102 and the LV medium shoulder plane. So, yes my feet are sliding and picking up speed.:p

Hank Knight
09-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Barry,

My #4 is my all-round bench plane. I use it for all kinds of things, not just smoothing. Since you already have a good block plane and a shoulder plane, I suggest you get a good #4 and tune it up, maybe buy a new Hock or LN blade for it and a new chipbreaker. After that, probably a #7. Next to my #4, my #7 and my LN low angle jack get the most use.

My $.02

Hank

Don C Peterson
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Aside from the LN Low Angle Block (60 1/2) and Low Angle Skew Block (140) the plane I seem to reach for the most is my LN Low Angle Jack (62). I use the 62 for jointing short boards, surface planing, and for shooting board work. It's a real workhorse. I have several irons for it depending on what I want to do. The beauty is that the irons can be changed so quickly and simply and it's almost like I have 4 planes for the price of one (and three extra irons).

For finishing the #4 is a real beauty though. I'm going to buy the York Pitck Frog for more difficult grain sometime, either that or I may save up my pennies to buy an HNT Gordon smoother since I've heard such good things about them. My #7 doesn't see as much use as I thought it would, but I do put it to use with larger stock.

So I guess my vote would be for a Low Angle Jack by either LN or LV. I really like the classic look and feel of the LN, but you can't go wrong with either.

Alex Carrera
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I would have to agree with getting a quality number four - and I must say that adding a Hock blade makes a tremendous difference, mostly in the ease of making a razor edge. As for the 7 or longer, I have been floored by the #29 transitional I have. The way it glides over the surface of the wood is amazing.

Fred Washam
09-27-2007, 9:08 PM
Barry, If you intend to do much joining, especially on stock 4 feet or more, then i believe you should go for the #7. Your #6 will stand you in good stead when jointing shorter boards, but a #7 dedicated for use as a jointer plane is indespensible in a shop where most if not all of the jointing is done with handplanes. Besides, with a Hock iron and a good tune up your Record should be all the #4 you will need for a while. Then again if you're like the rest of us, it aint necessarily about the need anyway,is it? ;)
Good Luck,
Fred