PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Project

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 10:22 AM
A little challenge. Can anyone guess what I'm building.

The first step is made of hardwood like maple or ash. Here's most of the ash and maple I had in my scrap bin cut into 12" lengths and assorted widths.

Next we set up the bandsaw to rip everything into 1x12 pieces.

This is the pile of 80 1x12 pieces of various thickness.

And the last part of this step is to reset the bandsaw and rip the 1x12's to make 80 1x5/8x12 pieces.

Anybody got a guess. First one to get it wins braggin' rights, and maybe even some of what this project will make.(If it works when I'm done.)

John

Tom Slupek
09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Cutting Boards

Jim Becker
09-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Cutting boards or a LOT of bonkers! Or some very long pens...or a chess/checker board...or...

David Epperson
09-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Getting ready to send Malcolm Tibbits some segments?

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Dave - Nope

Jim - Nope

David - O'xi (best I can do on this computer) Although Mr. Tibbetts does some nice work.

John

Mark Ball
09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
End Grain Cutting Boards

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
End Grain Cutting Boards

Great idea.............for the next project.

John

Chris Foley
09-27-2007, 11:53 AM
could it be dominos?

Keith Beck
09-27-2007, 1:49 PM
A homemade Jenga set?

Keith

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 1:59 PM
Sorry Chris, Keith, way off. Anyone that's built one of these may guess when you see the next step.

John

Bob Hoffmann
09-27-2007, 2:39 PM
Hey John,

Your last picture only has 72 pieces -- its an 8x9 stack -- you seem to missing 8 for your 80 pieces!

Assuming that these are the finished size -- they only need moulding / shaping for the final form -- maybe a tambour? or a seat for a bench?

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 3:11 PM
Hey John,

Your last picture only has 72 pieces -- its an 8x9 stack -- you seem to missing 8 for your 80 pieces!

Assuming that these are the finished size -- they only need moulding / shaping for the final form -- maybe a tambour? or a seat for a bench?

Another wrong answer, albeit a very observant answer. I did have 80 at one point, but alas, my concentration with a bandsaw is not what it should be and a few had some curves in the cuts. I actually only need 64, so I can still mess up a few in the next step in the process.

John

Tyler Howell
09-27-2007, 4:03 PM
Drawer deviders:confused: ...... For files:D

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 4:22 PM
If anyone has made one of these, this might give it away.

The next step is to cut a 12 degree bevel on each 5/8" side. I've set the band saw so I can run each piece through below the blade, then, flip the piece and run it through above the blade.

72602 72603

I know I could have accoplished this with one guide. However, when I tried that way, because my guides were fairly narrow, the top part of the piece wanted to slip up and over the guide. It seemed easier this way.

So, now the stack looks a bit different, and just may give a clue to someone.

For the observant Mr. Hoffman, yup! I lost a couple more to bad technique.

John

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 4:25 PM
Drawer deviders:confused: ...... For files:D

:confused: :confused: is right. But, wrong answer.

John

Todd Ludwig
09-27-2007, 4:35 PM
Some sort of barrel?

Bas Pluim
09-27-2007, 4:49 PM
Fake gold bars?

Mike Cooper
09-27-2007, 4:53 PM
Curved top for some sort of box or chest?

Warren Clemans
09-27-2007, 5:31 PM
How about barrels for a cider press? It's the right time of year. Fits with some of the clues...winner might get some of what this makes (cider). Number of pieces seems about right, as does the bevel angle and length of the staves. 32 staves each for 2 barrels? 12 degrees would be about right.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b8/13/135e_12.JPG

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2007, 5:36 PM
Bottom drawer glides

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 5:40 PM
How about barrels for a cider press? It's the right time of year. Fits with some of the clues...winner might get some of what this makes (cider). Number of pieces seems about right, as does the bevel angle and length of the staves. 32 staves each for 2 barrels? 12 degrees would be about right.

We have a winner!!!:) :) :)

If you saw the rest of my shop, you'd see I have an unfinished 15 ft. sailboat and an unfinished 18 ft. kayak. I should be working on that, but, when the branches on our apple trees started breaking with the weight of all the apples this year, I decider'd I better make something more useful.

The barrels are the first part. Next will be the frame for the press, then the tray and so forth. I got the plans out of a 1976 Mother Earth News. The slats on the barrels go on backwards, that is, the wide part on the inside. That's so the juice will squirt through and run down without getting all over the metal rings on the outside.

The one thing I'm having trouble finding is the mechanism for the apple grinder/smasher. If any of you have any idea where I could get one, I'd appreciate knowing. I'd like to just find the mechanism because I want to make the rest.

Congrats Warren. I'll keep posting some pictures as I go and try to get you some cider when the time comes.

John

Warren Clemans
09-27-2007, 5:49 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing one of these days. Here's a link that may have useful ideas: http://www.applejournal.com/correll/const.htm

I also read somewhere of a guy who made his shredder by turning a wooden cylender and studding it with drywall screws that were left a little proud. I much prefer the look of the correll blades, though I'm not sure how you'd cut the teeth in the stainless, or where to get the metal stock.

Good luck with the press!

Cheers,
Warren

Dave Lindgren
09-27-2007, 6:02 PM
Press is the easy part, and you can use a HF hydraulic jack for the press mechanism. What are you going to use as a crusher/grinder/pulper to get the apples ready for the press? That is the thing with a pyramidal hopper hiding behind the press in the photo.:D

Bill Wyko
09-27-2007, 6:12 PM
A staved column or a drum.:confused:

John Bailey
09-27-2007, 6:14 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing one of these days. Here's a link that may have useful ideas:
http://www.applejournal.com/correll/const.htm (http://www.applejournal.com/correll/const.htm)

I also read somewhere of a guy who made his shredder by turning a wooden cylender and studding it with drywall screws that were left a little proud. I much prefer the look of the correll blades, though I'm not sure how you'd cut the teeth in the stainless, or where to get the metal stock.

Good luck with the press!

Cheers,
Warren

Press is the easy part, and you can use a HF hydraulic jack for the press mechanism. What are you going to use as a crusher/grinder/pulper to get the apples ready for the press? That is the thing with a pyramidal hopper hiding behind the press in the photo.:D

I've seen the Correl. I've been searching around for an antique shredder that is still useable. I've seen them on auction sites, but I don't want to spend as much as they're going for. If I can't find one, I'll either go the stainless route or the screws in the screw on the cylinder route. Stainless is hard to find, but angled plate steel might work. I haven't deicided yet. I might just set up a thick board and pound away.;)

John

Jeremy Chisholm
09-27-2007, 6:26 PM
Try www.happyvalleyranch.com (http://www.happyvalleyranch.com) for the grinder assembly, it's an excellent unit (but a little pricey ~$230). My father still has the press from Lehman's Hardware we used for years growing up, and it mounts this particular model of grinder. It works very well.

Here's the same unit for sale for quite a bit less...see the 'bay and search for item 150165575202.

Best,
JC

Jim Becker
09-27-2007, 8:33 PM
Staved barrels?

Todd Jensen
09-27-2007, 8:40 PM
I know, I know... SAWDUST! :D

Don Bullock
09-27-2007, 9:47 PM
I thought it looked like a neat stack of kindling for the fireplace.;) :D

Rick Hubbard
09-28-2007, 9:09 AM
I'd say either a very shallow hot-tub or a HUGE whiskey cask!

Dave Hale
09-28-2007, 2:43 PM
I'd say either a very shallow hot-tub or a HUGE whiskey cask!

I like Rick's line of thought, whiskey. :)

John Bailey
10-01-2007, 9:42 AM
I like Rick's line of thought, whiskey. :)

I thought maybe a whiskey cask in my hot-tub.

John