PDA

View Full Version : Which Band Saw - Steel City or Grizzly?

David Weaver
09-27-2007, 8:04 AM
That's basically the entire question. Saw is likely to be no bigger than an 18 inch saw - no monsters needed. Just need something mainly to do basic resawing in a hobbyist shop.

Which is better? Which is the better value? The front-runner seems to be the G0513X.

Have no real good idea where to get a Steel City saw from in PA, and am located in Pittsburgh. No truck available to pick up a saw, and no desire to drive to Allentown to get one.

Russ Mullins
09-27-2007, 8:58 AM
I'm no expert, and I haven't comparison shopped the various brands. I bought the G0513X late last year for a resaw saw only. Earlier this summer, I set it up with a good 3/4" resaw blade. Using the resaw fence that came with the saw, I got great results with my first attempt at resawing. Nice clean cut, no drift.

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2007, 9:16 AM
Hi David, I've owned a General International 90-240 17" bandsaw for 4 years, and am very pleased with it.

Last week, I was at my machinery supplier, and he had a Steel City 50250 sitting beside the GI machine.

The Steel city has blade guides that don't require tools, and takes a 1 1/4" blade, as opposed to the 1" on the GI. The Steel City and the GI mostly have the same design, with the SC being a little nicer in some aspects. (It's nice to be the newer design, you can copy what you want, reject what you want). One item to note is that both use a motor with a run capacitor, reducing their input current to 11 or 12 amperes, compared to 20 for the Grizzly (Model G0513X2) with the same motor (2 HP).

Since I've been so pleased with the GI, it resaws very well, and easilly roughs out large, thick green blanks for turning with a 3 TPI blade, I'd recommend the SC saw which seems to be very similar. The 5 year warranty doesn't hurt, however I've never used warranty on any of my General or General International machines, so the warranty may not be a big item for you.

Regards, Rod.

Brad Knabel
09-27-2007, 9:20 AM
Hi David,
I don't have a complete answer for you - I've got a Grizzly 21" 3HP saw (G0566) that I love. But I haven't been able to look at the Steel City stuff to give a fair comparison. It's odd that they have corporate offices here, but don't seem to have a local distributor. Woodcraft stores seem to have the option of carrying some things - maybe the local store can order something for you?

I wanted to mention that Steel City is going to be at the woodworking show coming up this weekend in Monroeville. That might give you a chance to see their equipment in person.

http://www.consumerwoodworkingexpo.com/Pittsburgh_Woodworking_Show.html

Good luck with your choice.

Bernhard Lampert
09-27-2007, 9:38 AM
David,

First of all, I don't have first hand experience with either one, but....
A couple of months ago, there was a review of a Steel City bandsaw in FWW. The review was not complimentary. I did at one time or another buy Grizzly tools and some I still have and use. Overall I am quite pleased with them.
Judging from the review, SC quality assurance seems to be lacking.

Good luck!
Bernhard

John Thompson
09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
A note about the review in FWW a couple of months ago done by Roland Johnson. The review was titled "Steel City 18" Bandsaw has FLAWS which is somewhat of an eye-catcher, especially to a company that at the time was trying to get a foot-hole in the market.

The reviewer stated that the table was .018 off flat with the pin out. He also stated that the guide bar was not square not allowing a straight cut with re-saw. Glory be... what poor quality control this is.... huh!

What the reviewer didn't state is that you don't measure a table flatness with the Pin Out as it it ground to flat with the Pin In! What the reviewer didn't state was he took the machine off the crate and because he was pressed for what he latter described as a "dead-line", didn't bother to make the adjustment necessary to align the guide bar as the Steel City 18" has probably the most micro-adjustments of any BS in it's class.

There was a stink created on the FWW Knots forum concerning the obivious fact that the reviewer was without a clue reviewing BS's. That led to a letter published a month latter that apoligized to SC for allowing that article to go to print in the manner it did!

I looked at all BS's in the 18" class at IWF in Atlanta last fall. I chose the SC 18" after through comparisons. The Steel City BS speaks highly of itself without review if you compare it side to side with the competitors. Have a look at the double set of tension springs. Micro adjustment of the guide bar. No tool adjustment of the guides. Re-enforced upper case that has to hold the springs under tension. Large table 21 x 21. Increased size of motor mount hubs, bearing and re-enforced attachment of them. And dsut collection that is probably the best of any BS on the market.

But.. please don't take my word for it! Nor... take Reviews as the "Holy Grail" or the final word written in stone. Just go compare the machines side by side and if you know what too look for that comparison will tell you which to purchase.

Sometimes reviewers and reviews aren't all you might precieve them to be. I dropped a deposit that I had on a 16" MM and purchased the SC 18" as I don't need 16" re-saw height. If I were a turner working with large blanks that might have been a different story. But what I found was the SC is a well designed machine and IMO, the best BS from the Pacific Rim at the current moment... so I purchased it! And tech support and customer service is excellent.

And no again.. I am not employed by SC.. I don't get discounts from SC and I don't have relatives that do. I am just a 35 year WW that is impressed with the quality machines they have to offer as I have the 18" BS.. 8" jointer and will the 17" DP either this weekend or next.

Sarge..

Lance Norris
09-27-2007, 2:26 PM
I dont own a Steel City tool, and I hate when someone gives an opinion without knowing anything about a tool. With that being said, what I do own is a steel frame Grizzly bandsaw(g0457) and it is a great bandsaw. I have read many comments on both Grizzly and Steel City bandsaws and I think either will serve you well. I also have a large Grizzly planer with a spiral cutterhead(1021x) and it is a fine machine also. Grizzly has excellent customer service and the founder and president of Grizzly lurks here at SMC and takes the time to answer questions. That to me means a commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. My 2 cents for what its worth.

Jim Podsedly
09-27-2007, 2:39 PM
I have had the 513x for almost 1 year now. I love it. I resaw with a 1" timberwolf blade with no issues.

I use 1/4", 3/8" and 1" blades and all do as expected.

Jim

Wes Crawford
09-27-2007, 4:13 PM
Regarding the Grizzly vs. SC in the choice of bandsaws..You might be interested to know that if you choose the Grizzly, The G0513X2 is identical to the X1 except that it has a cast iron trunnion, which I think is significant. What makes it better is that it is available @ $950 (at least right now) while the X1 goes for $975. It will be available in November. I was at the Grizzly "scratch and dent" sale last weekend in Muncy PA and confirmed this info in person.

Chris Barnett
09-27-2007, 5:33 PM
Am also ready to buy a BS, but had been looking very strongly at the 18 inch Rikon. Just had a Griz 1023 delivered, and it is at a dead standstill in the middle of the shop since the [SF] wheels apparently just caved in from the load. I called them and told them if it can't move, I can't use it. .

Hope folks provide more info on both brands mentioned in your above posts. Thought most WW would have BSs so there would be a lot more info for you. I had read a review of BS in FWW several years back; General did not get very good marks back then.

David Weaver
09-27-2007, 6:10 PM
I guess Shiraz can explain to us, but I have a feeling the saw your neighbor is talking about is probably something that they phased out. I recall Shiraz saying they were phasing out saws from one plant that they had trouble with, and replacing them with another.

Either way, the freight/shipping can't be avoided in this case - just no way to get the saw any other way. Seems like there is an enormous number of tools damaged in shipping. When my Delta hybrid saw arrived, it was barely upright on it's pallet, and the stuff that I guess they would've called plywood (I wouldn't) was half ripped up. The saw was listing on the pallet ten degrees or so, and the hybrid cabinet saw that delta makes doesn't have the widest base to begin with.

Hopefully you'll get along OK with your saw, and it'll be a better saw than you're expecting.

Shiraz Balolia
09-27-2007, 6:27 PM
I guess Shiraz can explain to us, but I have a feeling the saw your neighbor is talking about is probably something that they phased out.

Perhaps Chris's neighbor (the professor) can elaborate upon what he means by "they wear out quickly and are then difficult to adjust".

The G1023 is made in the same factory that we have used in Taiwan for the last 24 years and these saws have tens of thousands of happy users out in the marketplace.
In any case, I am sure our customer service people are taking care of Chris so he can be up and running quickly.

Dave MacArthur
09-27-2007, 6:45 PM
David,
Here is a link to a thread, virtually identical to this one, from about 3 days ago or so. Some more opinions and input for you.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=665117
As I said there, I have inspected the SC 18", and the Grizzly 513. (original). I will go with the Grizzly myself, based on reading hundreds of great reviews on the saws, and praise for the customer service. And input such as the post just above mine. Both saws seemed to be high quality; I didn't like the trunnions on the SC (nor the ShopFox I looked at), but again--Grizzly seems to have listened to customer input and added the X2 versions with cast iron trunions.

I have heard only good things about both companies, to be sure. In this case, it is my observance from this forum's hundreds of customer service posts, that Grizzly goes the extra mile beyond competitors, even the good ones.

Dan Linehan
09-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I purchased the 513x2 in late July (after extensive research and investigation), and can say that I am impressed with and very satisfied with this saw. I inspected comparable 18" Delta and Rikon bandsaws, and concluded neither was equal in quality to the Grizzly product. The Delta seemed overpriced, and the Rikon was saddled with a Class B mainland China motor. I bought the Grizzly bandsaw sight unseen only because of the outstanding quality and durability of my Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw, which has plowed through many thousands of feet of 2" and 3" white oak without missing a beat.

Chris Barnett
09-28-2007, 12:36 AM
Pondering the above comment and my post, I re-evaluated the comments made to me and realized that they did not belong here since they are third party information. I considered all manufacturers and decided on the Griz, and in no small part on the reputation and comments from folks here. The base material bending and the casters not rolling has nothing to do with the saw; I still look forward to its use. Think I just need to order the super heavy duty base like is recommended for drum sanders which have less weight than the saw...should have done better homework myself first and as a ME, known better.
BTW also looked at the new 513x....impressive. Anyone know the tension developed in the blade and is the table trunion CI? Think this one may have just passed the Rikon; and like the huge table and t-a-l-l fence.

David Weaver
09-28-2007, 9:15 AM
Does Grizzly offer Lift Gate service?

Chris Barnett
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Gee, several days since your post and you may already have an answer. But, yes, Saia (if spelled correctly) was the service Griz selected to ship my G1023. It could not have gone better. They apparently transferred the saw to a 28-ft trailer; my driveway is 700 ft long and a regular 18 wheeler would not have made it, with the trees, turns etc. I did have to pay an extra $30 for lift gate service but that is not Griz's fault; Griz has apparently negotiated a contract with these companies for a very reasonable shipping fee. Diesel alone for my big truck would have been twice the cost of shipping had I gone after it, so my hat is off to Griz....this time. FedEx Freight has 25 ft trucks available (just for info).

Dave Sinkus
10-05-2007, 3:03 PM
They rated Laguna and Grizzly the top. That's only 4 inches smaller than what you are looking at :)

David Weaver
10-05-2007, 3:22 PM
I don't know if I mentioned or not, but the WW buddy and I have settled, at least for now, on getting a 513x2. If one of us gets it and the other likes it, then the other will probably make the same purchase.

We don't have big needs - probably a project every 6 months out of each of us - so if it resaws a little slower than a 24 inch minimax saw, that's Ok.

The cast iron trunnions is the decisive difference in this case, I'd say, so Shiraz, if you want to credit a sale to something - that was a good move listening to the customers and making a saw with cast trunnions.

glenn bradley
10-05-2007, 4:49 PM
One item to note is that both use a motor with a run capacitor, reducing their input current to 11 or 12 amperes, compared to 20 for the Grizzly (Model G0513X2) with the same motor (2 HP).

Just a small correction, no big deal. G0513X is 10a at 220v.

Brent Grooms
10-06-2007, 4:35 AM
Cast trunions are only part of the story... the ability to reliably tension the blade and keep that tension are, in my opinion a more important part of the selection process. I had your same decision last fall. I went to the local woodworking show at the expo center and got to play with the SC, Delta and Jet... up close and personal. the SC was far superior in use in heavier guage materials and the tensioning mechanism was no contest. I could only compair what I saw to what pictures are offered in the online Grizz manuals and the SC appeared to be superior again in what mattered most to me.

So far, anyone that I know of that has had to deal with SC customer service has had nothing bad to say and has always gotten follow up calls/information from SC when warranted. I was shipped two sets of the new adjusting screws for the blade guides that they upgraded based off of customer comments. All I had to do was ask.

You probably cannot go wrong with either mfg, so long as you buy based off of what is important to you.

Dennis Montgomery
10-10-2007, 8:17 PM
I have the Steel City 14" and love it. I had a jet 1HP for a couple of years and also liked it, but wanted a little more HP. I originally went to upgrade to the Powermatic and while I was at WM Redmonds, the sales guy showed me the details on the SC. The SC had all the higher end features of the PM, but was $200 less. What really amazed me was how clear the owners manual was. I have never seen one that was so clear and easy to understand. The saw went together in about 30 minutes and all the adjustments were dead on. The five year warranty is also a big plus. I would highly recommend it.