PDA

View Full Version : Grilling Question

Jason Christenson
09-26-2007, 6:58 PM
I have really gotten into grilling over this past summer. I've been trying out recipes from a book called Barbecue Nation. Most of them advise oiling he grate but every brush I have tried to use to do that pretty much jst melts. Is there one available that won't? Also, am I supposed to be using Tung Oil or Watco?

Jason

Darren Ford
09-26-2007, 7:07 PM
lol

Oil it before it gets too hot to melt the brush, and only use quality BLO :D

Eric Gustafson
09-26-2007, 7:10 PM
Oil the grate before the grill is hot.
Pam makes a grill spray that handles higher temps, too. You still need to turn off the grill before spraying or it will flame up!

Joe Unni
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I just oil the food. :)

Doyle Alley
09-27-2007, 8:16 AM
Several years ago, one of the grilling shows on TV turned me onto Grape Seed Oil. That stuff is amazing. Do an internet search on it (also try spelling "grapeseed" without the space) and you'll see what I mean. As a "health" oil, it far outshines olive oil. Everything olive oil does that is good for your body, grape seed oil does better.

As a cooking oil, it handles high temperatures as good as peanut oil. You can deep fry in the stuff and it won't smoke. It is flavor neutral, so you can use it like ordinary vegetable oil when baking (try that with olive oil). The only thing that it isn't really good at is when you really do need a flavored oil (like mixing with herbs and dipping bruschetta into).

For the grill you can either put it into a small spray bottle and spritz the grill or you can rub it on using a brush or folded paper towel.

Unfortunately, it is somewhat hard to find. You can order it over the internet pretty easily, but I've only found one store chain locally that carries it under the name "Grapeola".

Benjamin Dahl
09-27-2007, 8:44 AM
jason, i have seen silicone brushes in the BBQ section of some stores that claim to be heat resistant to 600 degrees so that could be an option too. I usually oil the grates before (though that probably burns off) and have a little oil on the food but might pick up one of those brushes as well.
Ben

Jon Lanier
09-27-2007, 2:46 PM
If the grate is to be oiled, wait until it is hot, and oil it just prior to adding the food. There are two techniques for oiling.

The first method, the grate remains on the grill. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetable oil into a small bowl. Fold a paper towel or clean dish cloth to create a pad about 3/4 inch thick, 1 inch wide, and 3 inches long (or there abouts). Holding this pad with long-handled tongs, dip it in the oil, then rub it over the bars of the hot grate.

The alternative method is my favorite, with grate in place. Rub the hot grate with a piece of beef, bacon, or chicken fat (hold the fat with tongs or with a carving fork).

Mike Hood
09-27-2007, 3:07 PM
An old terry washcloth folded tightly and swabbed in oil. Preheat the grill and then swab on the oil. If you do it religeously, the grills will season and it takes less and less effort each time.

Al Willits
09-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm with the Pam stuff too, spray the grill and a light coating on what ever your grilling, seems to be the easiest and less messy.

I also find just lightly brushing the grates makes it less sticky for next time, neighbor cleans his grates so they're like new and has far more problems with food sticking than I do.

Al

Jude Kingery
09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey Jason,

I just use a wire brush on the grill, works great, and on the oil, once seasoned just like an iron skillet, doesn't need further oil really, depending on what you're grilling I suppose. But we do shrimp, steaks, ribs, burgers, pretty much whatever and once the grill is seasoned, nothing sticks, but hte wire brush will clean it off very well. Happy grilling - PS I should send you some Mesquite shavings! Jude

Jason Christenson
09-28-2007, 11:51 AM
PS I should send you some Mesquite shavings! Jude

I'll take one, 12" x 12" x 6" !

Glenn Clabo
09-28-2007, 1:54 PM
Crunch up some tinfoil and dip it in oil...works for me.

keith ouellette
09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I brush steaks and chicken with olive oil before I put them on the grill. The excess oil cooks off and the meat sears nicely and the juices stay in. My mother is greek and I think that might be where the idea came from.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-29-2007, 9:05 AM
I use a paper towel and oil in a little bowl.

John Shuk
09-29-2007, 3:27 PM
I use a paper towel and oil in a little bowl.

Ditto for me.

Samuel Mill
09-30-2007, 6:57 PM
I use a hair (boar, I guess) brush, so that can't melt. Like the others, I usually don't oil the grate, and if I do, I do it while it's cold, with a spray can or bottle. I like my beef "Pittsburgh-style" - at those temperatures, the oil will just flame off anyway. Conversely, if I'm doing pork or chicken, and after authentic BBQ style, the lowish temps, the fat content of the meat, and the constantly mopping with sauce seems to minimize sticking.

-Sam

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-01-2007, 9:31 AM
I like my beef "Pittsburgh-style" -Sam

What is that?