PDA

View Full Version : finishing 6 pannel doors

jason lambert
09-26-2007, 4:43 PM
I have about 15 6 pannel doors to paint. I have a fuji hvlp gun. Is it faster/better to use the gun or should I use a brush.

The only reason I ask I have never seen anyone use a hvlp painting doors, I think it would work well.

Steve Clardy
09-26-2007, 7:28 PM
I would spray them, like everything else ;)

Jim Becker
09-26-2007, 7:55 PM
I agree with Steve, but you'll also need to choose the right finish if you are spraying. HVLP guns don't necessarily perform well with typical latex finishes. You'll want a high quality 100% acrylic (NOT "acrylic latex") and one formulated for spraying is even better. Those are not generally available at your local paint store, however. Both Sherwin Williams and Benny Moore have a nice 100% acrylic product, but I have not been happy spraying them...way too thick and water bornes don't take to thinning very well. They do brush out wonderfully, however.

Steve Schoene
09-26-2007, 9:20 PM
Why not USL on doors? It's available in a full range of colors. That's what I have pretty much decided to use on the 25 4 panel doors I've got to do pretty soon.

Doyle Alley
09-27-2007, 8:21 AM
I used an HVLP system (cheap Wagner unit that looked like a vacuum cleaner with a spray gun on the end). I sprayed ordinary latex, but had to thin it way down to get it to spray. I swore that if I ever had to do it again, I would go out and rent a commercial sprayer.

jason lambert
09-27-2007, 10:54 AM
I think it is going to be normal latex. I will have to play. I need to match the wall colors.

Ed Peters
09-27-2007, 2:08 PM
when painting those doors. I will bore a ¾" hole on the center line of the top and bottom rail about 1½" deep. I can then insert a dowel and support the door between sawhorses and paint all sides at once. For a lot of doors, you could fasten 2 x 4" s on edge between sawhorses to increase the available door holding space. Nothing like handling them once and then hanging them.

Ed