PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Manhattan Question

Jason Christenson
09-26-2007, 3:38 PM
If I use the now famous "Epoxy Manhattan" will it stain the wood or effect the final finish? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason

Bill Stevener
09-26-2007, 6:00 PM
Just about anything one applies to wood, that is not totally removed will affect the finish. Generally, with the exception of paint.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2007, 9:08 PM
Jason I did a box elder bowl and it didn't change the color on it at all. Not the red or the light colored wood. If I would have gotten back in town earlier I would have posted a picture of it. I will make sure I get a picture of the bottom for you. Look for it tomorrow night. Try it on a test piece. I use it all the time on punky soft wood and have had great luck with it although I also use Minwax Woodhardener.

Jason Christenson
09-26-2007, 9:28 PM
Can you give me an idea of the ratio of epoxy to DNA that you use? The stuff I made came out kinda thin.

Bill Stevener
09-26-2007, 9:40 PM
Sure, it is mixed to the viscosity of real maple syrup.

It may not change the color, however it will, depending on what you use, effect the finish.

Jason Solodow
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
What is this Epoxy Manhattan? I've been off the board for a bit, so I have not heard of it...

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Jason and Jason I mix either 5 min or 30 min depending on what I am doing and then mix DNA until the consistancy is like milk. Thats the best I can explain it. The DNA soaks into the wood real well taking the epoxy with it. As far as I can tell it does not discolor the wood if any and works real well for me anyway.

Anyway check out the box elder bowl I just posted. The bottom and the lip of the bowl opposite the color had the epoxy/DNA mixture used on it. The tenon after I painted it with the cocktail was rock hard after 24 hrs. and I just turned it round and then chucked it.

Jason Christenson
09-28-2007, 3:03 PM
Ok, I tried it out and it worked great. I had my doubts when I was painting the stuff on but 24 hours later the tenon was rock solid. I couldn't have crushed it if I tried, of course that didn't stop me from having a huge catch and ripping it off the bottom of the bowl in one piece! Oh well. I put the bowl back on the screw chuck and turned a new tenon on it. This bowl started out fairly large for me but by the time I get it done it may be a finger bowl. While I was at it I rough turned the outside of another blank made of the same punky mystery wood. I mixed up the cocktail and painted both tenons. With any luck I will rough turn the insides of both bowls this weekend.

Jason

Bill Stevener
09-28-2007, 5:18 PM
Jason,
What happened to you is exactly what I knew would happen. It's like the weakest link in a chain. But, I thought it best for you to find out for yourself. Now, if you try it again, in punky wood, the same thing will occur.
When you first posted, you asked what is the best way to turn this stuff and I noted, epoxy a stable block of wood on the base, this will give you a much larger area of contact and support, turn a tenon, when finished with your work turn the block off.
The Epoxy Manhattan is good for stabilizing the punky wood so one may work on it, but it will fail at its weakest point.
Try it again if you wish, good luck.

Jason Christenson
09-30-2007, 8:41 PM
Just wanted to give an update. This afternoon I roughed out the insides of both bowls without any tenon problems. Right now they are both swimming in DNA.

Jason