PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between these two Ashley Iles bench chisels?

Chris Pasko
02-02-2004, 8:15 PM
I was looking over at toolsforworkingwood and seen two sets of bench chisels. The Beveled Edge Bench Chisels by Ashley Iles, and the American Pattern Beveled Edge Chisels by Ashley Iles. I see the handles are different, but other then that, are they any differences in blade or edge?

Jason Roehl
02-02-2004, 8:53 PM
I was looking over at toolsforworkingwood and seen two sets of bench chisels. The Beveled Edge Bench Chisels by Ashley Iles, and the American Pattern Beveled Edge Chisels by Ashley Iles. I see the handles are different, but other then that, are they any differences in blade or edge?

Try posting this over on the Neander Forum....those are the guys that might be able to answer this.

Mark Singer
02-02-2004, 8:57 PM
The American Pattern are stubby shaft...the beveled edge are long (Paring). Excellent quality ...beautiful to see and use . The Best Things also carries them. Joel is a good guy also @ Toolsfor.... I own many Asley Iles carving tools and enjoy them.

Chris Pasko
02-02-2004, 10:43 PM
The American Pattern are stubby shaft...the beveled edge are long (Paring). Excellent quality ...beautiful to see and use . The Best Things also carries them. Joel is a good guy also @ Toolsfor.... I own many Asley Iles carving tools and enjoy them.

Thanks guys, so Mark, do I need both? My original intent was to purchase a set of Ashely Iles bench chisels =), now I am lost again hehe.

-C

Lloyd Robins
02-02-2004, 11:13 PM
It depends what you are doing. If you like (or need) the extra length of handle and blade along with a little extra weight, the standard pattern is great and will double nicely as a paring chisel. If you like a shorter (both blade and handle) chisel with less weight then the American pattern will be best. The American pattern (under 1") sets tightly in my hand and the butt nestles against the back part of my palm when I try to do detail work. So you can buy according to you needs. (However, I am certain that Joel wouldn't mind selling you a set of each. Both together are less than the cost of one set of upper end Japanese chisels. Or you can mix and match according to what you use each size for.) The bubinga handles are beautiful. Good luck.

DIsclamer-
No, I don't work for Joel. I just send my money to him and a couple of others.

Chris Pasko
02-02-2004, 11:38 PM
It depends what you are doing. If you like (or need) the extra length of handle and blade along with a little extra weight, the standard pattern is great and will double nicely as a paring chisel. If you like a shorter (both blade and handle) chisel with less weight then the American pattern will be best. The American pattern (under 1") sets tightly in my hand and the butt nestles against the back part of my palm when I try to do detail work. So you can buy according to you needs. (However, I am certain that Joel wouldn't mind selling you a set of each. Both together are less than the cost of one set of upper end Japanese chisels. Or you can mix and match according to what you use each size for.) The bubinga handles are beautiful. Good luck.

DIsclamer-
No, I don't work for Joel. I just send my money to him and a couple of others.

Thanks guys....sheesh, I have so much to learn =(.

Mark Singer
02-02-2004, 11:40 PM
Chris,
I would start with 1 type yuo can always add. take a look at the Hirsh chisels at Lee Valley ...excellent same as Two Cherries. Ashley Iles and Hirsch are great values and lifetime chisels.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=46403&category=1,41504&ccurrency=2&SID=

Alan Turner
02-03-2004, 9:29 AM
I understand that Ashley Isles made the "American pattern" based upon a perception that the US woodworkers preferred a butt chisel. And that was certainly true for me for many years. But, when I got serious about hand tools, and fell in love with the old ones, most of the older tools are longer. I think in terms of Butt, bench paring, in ascending length. I have rather full sets of all 3 lengths. So, what do I reach for? Never the butts, unless there is a special reason. My go to guy is a 1/2" Stanley 750, which is about 9.5" long. That is my default chisel. But I have really come to love the length of a paring chisel. They are long enough that you can get your hip onto either the handle, or your elbow, and use your lower body strength for the power, and control the cut with your left hand. Quite a delightfully accurate cut, and very simple to execute.
I am not a believer in the need for matched sets of chisels. My paring chisels are all old, and vary from Buck Bros (1/8 and 1/4 and 1.25), Witherby (3/8) Stanley (1/2, 1 ad 1.5) and etc. All are great pieces, and only the size dictates my choice. I never pay more than $15 for a chisel, and sometime only $5 or so, just depending. Pa. is an area rich with older tools, and I would think that Baltimore would be also. In fact, there is a huge tool sale coming up in March, sponsored by Patina (Potomac Area Tool and Industry Ass'n, I think) and it is in Hagerstown Md., I think. I think it starts on a Sat., maybe at 9 or so, but I have heard that there are sellers there Friday night, and at 5 or 6 a.m. Sat. morning, from their car trunks. I will be a buyer at that show. I know that Tom Law, the premier saw filer, will be there. He lives close by, and is a wonderful gentleman to chat with. He ahs forgotten more than I will ever know about hand saws. To watch him work is a thing of wonder.