PDA

View Full Version : Incra V27 miter gauge

Chuck Wintle
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
I may buy this miter gauge and was wondering who owns one like it and what your opinion of it is.:D

James Phillips
09-26-2007, 12:11 PM
I have the Incra 3000 and love it. i would save a little more and get teh 1000 or 3000. I think they are worth the extra $$

Doug Shepard
09-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Works great. I got one to replace the junk one that came with my MM16 bandsaw. I've checked various angle settings against machinists angled setup blocks and it's right on the money. I got mine during a pretty good sale, but even at the regular price I think it's a good buy.

Bill Wyko
09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I own the miter 1000se and I couldn't live with out it. Everything they make is a quality product as far as I can tell. I also own 2 of there fences. They also have great custome service. IMHO:)

Scott Rollins
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the V27. Is is dead on accurate at all fixed angles once set square at 90. I have used it with a wooden fence with sandpaper stuck to the front for a long time until I finally attached a aftermarket fence to the front. I am very pleased with my purchase. I have also set it to angles in between the fixed settings using my wixey angle gauge. There is a thread in this forum describing pretty much what I did to set the other angles. You clamp your miter gauge vertically, zero the wixey, set it on your fence and pivot the fence angle to your desired angle and tighten the hand grip. This gives you any any you want...accurately and quickly.

Using this method I cannot justify buying any other more expensive miter set-up.

scott spencer
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
The V27 is hard to beat for the price IMO....accurate and easy to use once dialed in. I've got a V27 (http://www.epinions.com/content_195368423044), an EB-3 (http://www.epinions.com/content_213366771332), and a Woodhaven/Jet Deluxe.....all are very good...the V27 is a great bargain. Toss a shopmade hardwood fence on it, and you'll be all set.

Jason Beam
09-26-2007, 1:02 PM
The V27 was the first incra miter gauge I picked up. It's an excellent base gauge for the money. Accurate as heck. I've since picked up a Miter 2000 and love it as well. Though, they're both crazy accurate and the V27 can be made to have all the features of the bigger boys. Add yourself a sacrificial fence board that will go PAST the blade so it'll push your offcuts to safety as well. This will also allow you to add a stop mechanism to the left side for repeatitive cuts.

If you're happy with it and later want a more feature-packed fence, you can pick up extrusions and stops for it later on from Woodpecker's. The t-slots and micro-adjustment features of some of the other stops are very handy to have around.

I still use my V27 on my bandsaw and as my "Annual tune up the table saw dial indicator holder" and wouldn't want any other. The miter bar adjustments are the best i've found anywhere. Very handy :)

Justin McCurdy
09-26-2007, 1:14 PM
I have 2 V27's, and love'em. I attached the fence that came with my SC table saw and it works great. Wait for a Woodcraft or Amazon sale for them though.

Bill Wyko
09-26-2007, 1:33 PM
I thought I'd mention that the miter1000 has a vernier that allows 10th degree incraments. This is crutial when doing segmented rings for turnings.

nic obie
09-26-2007, 2:16 PM
Works great. I got one to replace the junk one that came with my MM16 bandsaw. I've checked various angle settings against machinists angled setup blocks and it's right on the money. I got mine during a pretty good sale, but even at the regular price I think it's a good buy.

Me too. I also needed one for my MM-16 :D :D

Mike Wilkins
09-26-2007, 2:20 PM
I got one when Woodcraft first got them in. I added a 24" section of Ultra-Trak and a flip-stop to make a great poor-man's miter guage.
This miter guage lets you get a snug fit in the miter slot, and the head of the guage lets you adjust for perfect 90deg settings.
Has been a great tool so far.

James Phillips
09-26-2007, 2:34 PM
I thought I'd mention that the miter1000 has a vernier that allows 10th degree incraments. This is crutial when doing segmented rings for turnings.

I believe the 1000 is only indexed at every 5 degrees. The 3000 is indexed at 0.5 degrees. I have never seen one indexed at 0.1 degrees.

I could be wrong though....

scott spencer
09-26-2007, 3:29 PM

I actually added my own vernier to the V27 to point out 1 degree increments accurately. It's made from transparency material in much the same fashion as the one on the 1000SE.

Doug Shepard
09-26-2007, 5:58 PM
I actually added my own vernier to the V27 to point out 1 degree increments accurately. ...

We've been victims of a drive-by posting. Anybody get pics of that??
Bueller? Anyone?

glenn bradley
09-26-2007, 6:05 PM
I have had the V27 for about 3 years. I think it is about as good as you can get without spending large dollars. I have never found anything it couldn't do up to the size that should be done on a sled anyway.

I ordered the telescoping fence directly from Incra for less than I could find it anywhere else(???). I would not bother with the telescoping feature if I did it again. It took 2 tries to get one close to accurate and I still had to shim it after a few months use. I now leave it at a set length.

Don't get me wrong. The gauge is top notch. The fence is good quality. The telescoping extension is just a weak point that I don't really use anyway. I'd buy the gauge again in a heartbeat. The bar adjustment discs are great. I have used the gauge on three different saws and readjusting for play is a snap.

Eric Gustafson
09-26-2007, 6:08 PM
I believe the 1000 is only indexed at every 5 degrees. The 3000 is indexed at 0.5 degrees. I have never seen one indexed at 0.1 degrees.

I could be wrong though....

Bill has the Incra Miter 1000se. The special edition has the venier for 1/10 degree incraments.

scott spencer
09-26-2007, 8:48 PM
We've been victims of a drive-by posting. Anybody get pics of that??
Bueller? Anyone?

Busted by the pic police! ....It's pretty crude, but functional. The one that's on there now is a little bent and needs replacing. I took a rectangular piece of transparency that was about 3/4" by 1-1/2", put a hole in one corner, mounted it to the pointer's pivot screw. It's takes nearly 4 minutes from start to finish! :D

At zero:
At 7 degrees functioning as a stock gauge with the pointer between detents:
At 7 degrees with the vernier pointing at 7 degrees:

Doug Shepard
09-26-2007, 9:03 PM
Thanks. I may steal your idea and do the same. But I wont post pics, so it wont really be stealing.:D

Jim Heffner
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Charles, go ahead and buy one of them...it will be the best $60.00 that you have spent in a while. I have one of them and I love it...dead on accurate, everytime and never any problems. If you do buy it.....be sure and read and follow the directions as to how to adjust it to your miter tracks. There are (4) adjusting discs to adjust to the miter slot and adjust them all, then the gauge will slide thru the tracks like grease! Put on a
wooden auxillary fence and you are set to start cutting some wood.
Jim Heffner

John Callahan
09-28-2007, 4:56 PM
Been pleased with mine. Run it on my PC 3812 jobsite saw- more accurate crosscuts than with the stock gauge. Now if they'd get the elevators working at the jobsites I've been on and didn't have to lug the saw up four flights of stairs, I'd be a really happy man. Fwiw the V27 goes on sale every now and then- Woodcraft had it for $49 a while back.

scott spencer
09-28-2007, 6:05 PM
Thanks. I may steal your idea and do the same. But I wont post pics, so it wont really be stealing.:D

It was their idea to start with AFAIK, and I posted pics, so I guess I did steal it! :D