PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think?? (Bandsaw Selection)

Tom Bruce
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi, I am about to purchase a new bandsaw and I was wandering what you guys and gals thing of the Jet 18" 3 hp saw. Any one have one, have any pros or cons to share???

I'd appreciate all the advice I can get.....

thanks

Ben Gastfriend
09-26-2007, 4:10 PM
I think you'd do better in the general woodworking forum, I don't know much about band saws and I bet alot of the people there would be able to give you better advice.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-26-2007, 4:11 PM
I can't comment on the Jet, but before you buy it, look at the Rikon 18". It's worth looking at. Current price is about $1300. In November at Woodcraft it should be on sale for $999.00.

I've used this one a lot. It reminds me of the OLD bandsaws from the 50's - Built with quality and thought throughout.

Just My Personal Opinion.

Bruce

Guy Germaine
09-27-2007, 7:50 AM
Not to be a smart alek, but are you sure you need a 3hp saw? Are you a hobbiest, or a professional? You might take a good look at some of the Grizzly band saws too. Pound for pound, they're one of the best buys out there. I have the G0513X. It's a 17" saw with a 2hp motor. I've resawn 12" wide stock with it and have not had any problems. You can also use the money you saved to buy another tool. :D

Dave MacArthur
09-27-2007, 6:57 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=628164&postcount=3
Here is an old thread on the Jet 18" which might be useful to you. As you say it's the 3hp one, that is good vs. the older 1.5hp one... hard to tell from the official name of the saw, they didn't really change anything so you have to see it in person to be sure you're getting the NEW 3hp Jet18 (JWBS18).

I don't have one, so I am not the most informed responder, but have looked at the Jet1.5hp 18 and the 24" Jet while shopping for an 18"ish bandsaw. I have arrived at Grizzly as my choice, just awaiting feedback on the new X2 models.

Tom Bruce
09-28-2007, 1:29 AM
thanks for the info