PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Acrylic Awards

Jeff Lehman
09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I just placed a rush order to my acrylic vendor for some awards that will require gluing. (so far I have only done the free-standing acrylic). Well, when I told them I also needed the glue to be overnighted with the order, they informed me that due to freight regs they would have to send the glue via UPS ground. Yikes!

Is there an off-the-shelf glue that is equivalent in properties that I could go to a normal hardware store and purchase? Appreciate any insight!

Thanks

Joe Pelonio
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately that's a hazardous material not allowed to travel by air. The borgs do not have anything that works as well, that is welding it by melting both surfaces together.

Do you not have a plastic supply that sells acrylic nearby? They would have it.

Bob Davis
09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I've found the best method is to use a glass syringe with a (thin) hypodermic needle to inject chloroform at the join of the acrylic pieces. The chloroform is drawn into the joint by capillary action and welds the plastics. If it is done well there is a nearly invisible joint, and I've found the results to be better than I can usually obtain with an acrylic glue; no strings or globs or blobs around the join.

bruce cain
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Depending on what you are gluing it to... When I glue acrylic to wood, I go to the local lumber yard. If you are gluing acrylic to acrylic and you are needing some solvent to weld it together, Continental Trophy has a location in Columbus, Ohio and they carry the sovent. They should be close enough for overnight UPS ground.

Bruce

Stephen Beckham
09-26-2007, 8:51 PM
Jeff - come by the store with a good storage container that has a real good seal - we can meet and I can give you a "sample" of the glue that JDS sells... It works great and I've got a whole quart that will probably expire before I use it all... It does evaporate rather quickly - so container should have a good rubber closure - a large baby bottle with lid or mason jar with lid might suffice. Just have to mark it so no one thinks it's "shine.":D

Steve

Mike Null
09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Shine. That's good! Will it work? On acrylic that is.

Stephen Beckham
09-27-2007, 6:51 AM
A little for you and a little for the acrylic...

The acrylic may not stick together, but honestly - you won't really care right then....:eek:

Jeff Lehman
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
I have been up in town all week, so I found a shop in New Albany, and got a half used bottle of the JDS stuff from him. Ironically after he gave me the glue, he told me he has had better luck using super glue (gluing acrylic to acrylic). He said he normally used the super glue that came with a brush applicator.

Stephen Beckham
09-27-2007, 5:05 PM
Cool - I've tried the super glue, but seemed to leave a bit of frosting between objects. The JDS stuff seems to leave a clearer adhesion.

The last one I did, I moved it too soon and it gave me fits on the re-glue. :mad:

Also don't spill drops on the acrylic - it will leave a spot. If you have to clean some up - spot it up, don't wipe it. :mad:

I use a inkjet refill syringe with long needle to get it in the cracks... Have fun. :rolleyes:

Steve

Bill Cunningham
09-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Jeff - come by the store with a good storage container that has a real good seal - we can meet and I can give you a "sample" of the glue that JDS sells... It works great and I've got a whole quart that will probably expire before I use it all... It does evaporate rather quickly - so container should have a good rubber closure - a large baby bottle with lid or mason jar with lid might suffice. Just have to mark it so no one thinks it's "shine.":D

Steve

Hmm One sip, and even the dumbest revenuer will discover it aint!! (just bury him in the back.. no one's gonna notice):D