PDA

View Full Version : Face Shields Forever

Christopher K. Hartley
09-26-2007, 9:37 AM
I just had to say this after this past two weekends. I want to encourage all Newbies to purchase and wear a face shield of some kind. I had two things happen recently that are proof to me anyway that they are more than worth the money and effort.

The first incident occurred when turning a pine bowl two weeks ago. I was well into this piece of wormy pine when all of a sudden this big gut splash tit the face shield the worm looked like I'd been driving at 70 miles per hour and he hit my windshield...imagine that in your mouth.
Next just this past weekend I was turning an Elm NE with lots of inclusions when a big hunk slammed into my face shield. If it hat hit me in the face I would probably have had serious damage to my eyes and face. The shield did a beautiful job of deflecting it.
Oh ya, If you need another reason, see Andy on the turner and their lathes thread. His bubble shield is a great place to tuck in a BIG Beard!!:D :DSo, to one and all, I wish you a fun and S A F E spin!!!:)

Hilel Salomon
09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the reminder Chris. I haven't been hit for a while, but when it came, it hit my faceshield and made a dent. Also, I've had large chunks of bark and cracked wood go whizzing by ready to do damage. It certainly is worth the slight extra effort.
Regards, Hilel.

Randal Stevenson
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
IMHO, this should REALLY be in the general section as well. There are other things that these have worked better for me (since I wear glasses), then those cheap, ill fitting saftey glasses. (I have since found better pairs, but still find times it works better). It's NOT just the lathe users that benefit.

Robert McGowen
09-26-2007, 1:06 PM
Hi Chris,

Any endorsements on a face shield. I am not really looking for the dust control type, just the "don't get killed by flying wood" type. Also, the best price or place to order would be great!

Robert

Mike Vickery
09-26-2007, 1:45 PM
Always a good reminder.
I always wear a face shield for anything bigger then a bottle stopper. I have only had one piece smack into my faceshield several years ago but it was a great reminder.

Brian Weick
09-26-2007, 2:07 PM
Oh ya, If you need another reason, see Andy on the turner and their lathes thread. His bubble shield is a great place to tuck in a BIG Beard!!:D :DChris,
where's the thread?
Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
09-26-2007, 2:37 PM
Hi Chris,

Any endorsements on a face shield. I am not really looking for the dust control type, just the "don't get killed by flying wood" type. Also, the best price or place to order would be great!

RobertI use the HF cheapies but they have proven themselves :)

Christopher K. Hartley
09-26-2007, 2:39 PM
Here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65230 :)

Oh ya, If you need another reason, see Andy on the turner and their lathes thread. His bubble shield is a great place to tuck in a BIG Beard!!:D :DChris,
where's the thread?
Brian

Brian Weick
09-26-2007, 2:45 PM
Here it is: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65230 :)

thank you Chris. that's pretty cool!
Brian

Benjamin Dahl
09-26-2007, 2:57 PM
Robert, I use a UVEX bionic face shield. I went with the uncoated option. The visors are replaceable and i find it pretty comfortable. here is one place that sells them but if you do a google search there are many options.
http://www.safetycompany.com/uvex-bionic-face-shield/p_2029.html

One other point that should be noted is that face shields should be used in tandem with safety glasses and not as a substitute.
Ben

Keith Christopher
09-26-2007, 4:58 PM
My first experience when not wearing a shield was:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40206

It was also my last.

The pieces that came off that bowl had some POINTY edges! Glad I wasn't struck. It was a testament to the "just one lil tweek, no need to completely gear up, just my safety glasses...."

Glad you were wearing yours!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2007, 9:17 PM
Chris thanks for the reminder. Every time I step up to the lathe I have the shield on. I have had bark inclusion fly off and well as other pieces of wood and I know they would have did bodily harm had it not been for the face shield. As Chris said wear a full face shield not goggles.

Wayne Kuhn
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Feel nekid without one.
Now to remember to put my smock on.

Jim Becker
09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Agree...and the full face shield should still have safety glasses under it. ;)