PDA

View Full Version : OT - Installing a tub surround

Kyle Koenig
02-02-2004, 5:26 PM
I am finishing a bathroom in my not so new home (4 yrs old - slooooow project!) I have finally finished the plumbing and passed the inspection. So, I am ready to start rocking.

However, before starting I need advice on how to handle the tub surround. We had the unit placed in the room when the house. When it came to doing the plumbing, I moved it into position to hook in the water and drain. As with everything in a new home, it doesn't fit perfectly. Towards the front and top, there is a gap between the surround the wall. Also, on the left side, it comes out almost flush to the corner of the wall on the front edge.

How do I attach the surround to the studs? Will the fiberglass flex enough to draw tight to the wall or does it need to be shimmed somehow? When I rock, there isn't enough space on the side that is flush with the corner to add sheetrock and screw it directly to the wood. Is it appropriate to screw the rock to the surround directly threw the flange and then just mud the corners as usual?

Unfortunately, I am showing my ignorance here. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-03-2004, 7:45 AM
Your situation is pretty much why I bought plain old tubs, and tiled the walls. I knew I wasn't gonna get everything square. :(

I've since been involved with the installation of two prefab shower enclosures (other people's). One went in slick, one required some 'creative' sheetrock work.

I think you want that thing sitting 'solid' against the wall all around.

KC

Stan Thigpen
02-03-2004, 9:26 AM
I had a similar situation a couple of years ago when I remodeled a couple of bathrooms for a woman. I tore out the mud bed tile job and broke up the cast iron tub. She wanted a one piece fibreglas tub/shower surround. Because of the lack of squareness of the walls, I had to shim the top of the surround for the flange to be firmly supported at each stud. Then I cut tapered shims for the drywall above the surround to make sure they were in the same plane as the flange and well-supported.