PDA

View Full Version : sourcing or making thin wood for boxes

tom coleman
09-26-2007, 2:54 AM
I need thin wood, pine and hardwoods for making small boxes. I am looking for dimensioned lumber in 1/4 and 3/8 thicknesses. Can anyone suggest a good mail order source? Alternatively, any suggestions for cutting same on a table saw.

thank you

Guy Germaine
09-26-2007, 6:36 AM
Depending on the size of the boxes, look for some old pallets. A lot of times, the slats are 3" (or so) wide oak about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. You can plane them down and use them. Here's a picture of a cabinet I made for my Dad last year. The top is all slats from old pallets. I just planed them down, and jointed the edges.
http://www.fototime.com/8A6AE35B6E01EB7/standard.jpg

Ralph Barhorst
09-26-2007, 6:48 AM
Tom,

Check this out. http://www.walllumber.com/thin.asp

Mike Hood
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
I've had a lot of fun making small cedar boxes using cedar closet liner. You can get a box for $30 or so and it contains many board feet of smooth accurate thin wood. (smells great too)

I make little knick knack boxes from it.

Orval Schroeder
09-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Tom
try this site. They are in tennessee and I have ordered thin wood from them for laser work, only thing is they only take phone orders but will ship out same day.www.sloanswoodshop.com. Hey my sister and her husband have a home in Englewood on Arkansas street, we spent some time there last year and plan to go back this winter great area. Hope this helps

Lee Schierer
09-26-2007, 1:02 PM
I make small boxes using dimensioned lumber. You can easly get two pieces of material from a piece 3/4" thick by resawing. If your saw is well tuned, it won't take a lot of clean up on the planer so if can be cles to 3/8 in thickness. You can resaw 1" material and get two pieces 3/8" thick. Looks like a good reason to buy a band saw and a planer. :D

Mike Wilkins
09-26-2007, 2:23 PM
If you don't want to invest in a good planer, there are several mail-order sources of thin wood. Rockler, Woodcraft, Klingsopr's Woodworking Shop are some that come to mind.
Also check the back of the ww magazines for ads listing lumber dealers.

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2007, 2:56 PM
I make small boxes from 3/4" lumber, resawed on the bandsaw to just under 3/8", then planed to 5/16" or 1/4".

It's the most economical way to use 3/4" material.

Regards, Rod.