PDA

View Full Version : Small Box Elder Dish

Pat Doble
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, now that the shop is done (and both physical and mental recoveries have been made from my 'Stinson' 'incident'), I'm getting around to completing a few pieces.

A dish from a small branch with just too much color to burn - only about 4" x 2", finished with Watco Danish Oil and Beall buffed. Had some ring shake, but it filled in decently with some sanding during the oil applications. (This little blank would have made a sweet little HF if only I did them....)

As always, thanks for looking.

Mike A. Smith
09-25-2007, 11:51 PM
That's some pretty wood Pat! Is this a normal color for elder? The only box elder I've seen has been in pen blanks they're pretty much a marbled white.

By the way, you're avatar looks just like my 'best friend' that passed away a couple of years ago. I smile everytime I see it.

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Nice little bowl Pat - love the colors!

Bob Hallowell
09-26-2007, 8:54 AM
Very nice Pat,

I noticed that after you had a disaster with the special "Doble finish" you decided to try a more tradition one. :eek:

Bob

Bonnie Campbell
09-26-2007, 9:37 AM
Great looking bowl! Is 'flaming' box elder a sub-species of box elder?

Tom Sherman
09-26-2007, 9:06 PM
Nice un Pat

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2007, 9:09 PM
It is a beauty Pat. Really nice color.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-27-2007, 9:15 AM
Nice little bowl. You're right, way too much color to toss. Great Job!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2007, 9:38 AM
Nice little bowl Pat! I've had access to a little box elder. The stuff I've had, eventually the "reds" turn to brown over time.......it's a shame.

Pat Doble
09-29-2007, 1:15 AM
Bonnie and Mike,

There's a ton of variation in box elder (at least the stuff I have). I think the flaming is just a description, kind of like curly for maple and cherry. From what I've seen on the net, the red is caused by some sort of fungus. I do have some very, very plain 'white' box elder that came from a tree about 20 feet away from one with tons of red, go figure...