PDA

View Full Version : First big project

Kacey Zach
09-25-2007, 10:06 PM
This is my first big project. New Yankee Workshop router table. Maple ply, curly maple drawer fronts, cherry and walnut trim. The curly maple turned out a bit darker than I would have liked. Finish is BLO, water dye, with shellac top.

I need to put this thing on casters as it weighs a ton. Any recommendations for casters? I assume locking casters would be good.

Jim Becker
09-25-2007, 10:10 PM
You did a really nice job on that project, Kacey...and it's a great addition to your shop, too.

Jason Morgan
09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I would forgo the casters and just buy a universal mobile base. I did that with mine and it has worked like a charm. By the time you buy decent casters its close in price too, but much more convenient.

Kacey Zach
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I was also considering the mobile base route.

Jim Dunn
09-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Kacey nice job on the cabinet. Could you post a pic of the drawer handles and describe how you went about making them.

Kacey Zach
09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't have a good close-up of the drawer pulls but they are from a woodsmith magazine. Very simple to make. Route the inside profile, outside profile, then cut the angle.

Kacey Zach
09-25-2007, 11:51 PM
Not sure exactly which Woodsmith magazine I got the idea from. Either 74 or 79, I think.

http://lh6.google.com/kszach00/RvnXASRPehI/AAAAAAAAAE0/oxtF9vtW2Ag/IMG_3282.jpg?imgmax=512

Dave Anthony
09-26-2007, 1:31 AM
That's really nice. I like the grain match continuation on the drawers; looks very practical & functional as well. I like 5" or 6" casters, depending on the height of other tables, etc. I always go full swivel & locking on all.

Dave Anthony
09-26-2007, 1:39 AM
OK, I just showed this to my wife. Her response: "that's sick, why didn't he make his wife a nice bedroom set or dining room table? that should go in the house not the garage, but who wants a router table in the house?"
To be honest, i understand both viewpoints :)

Jim Kountz
09-26-2007, 8:37 AM
OK, I just showed this to my wife. Her response: "that's sick, why didn't he make his wife a nice bedroom set or dining room table? that should go in the house not the garage, but who wants a router table in the house?"
To be honest, i understand both viewpoints :)

Yeah sometimes the wives dont understand our illness! But hey, hopefully something like this router table is going to last for years, be used everyday and help to improve all the tables, cabinets and other projects that it helps to create!

Don Bullock
09-26-2007, 9:22 AM
Kacey, That looks great! I really like shop furniture that looks good. If you spend a lot of time in the shop it's nice to have things that look good.

Jason Tuinstra
09-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Nice looking version of the Norm classic. The nice thing about this project is that it will help you make even bigger ones in the future. Very nice. For mobility I would rather have buy some kind of mobile base. This way you can use it's own weight to prevent it from moving around when you don't want it to instead of the breaks on casters. Just my .02