PDA

View Full Version : Sanding boxes?

Jared Cuneo
09-25-2007, 9:33 PM
Every time I sand a box, no matter how careful I am, I always get slightly convex edges. Its really annoying :)

I only have an ROS, so do I need to pick up a disc/belt sanding station or one of those table saw discs (I'm not real keen on the idea of the table saw one, pressure on the arbor and all).

Please help a sanding neophyte! Also, I've looked at the sanding stations and a couple have a little 1-2" belt, what the hell would I use that narrow of a belt on?

JC

jason lambert
09-26-2007, 4:08 PM
I sand all the time with my festool rox and don't ahve a issue. Is the pad holding your paper maybe to soft? Are you rocking it?

Cary Swoveland
09-26-2007, 8:54 PM
You could clamp boards all around, flush with the side you're sanding.

Cary

Bill Huber
09-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I think it is the way you are using the sander, I have a little Dewalt ROS and really have no problem.
One thing that I do one small items like that is to take a soft carpenters pencil and lightly scrabble on the side and then sand it off, I can see just where I am sanding and the places that do not need any more.

Lance Norris
09-27-2007, 9:36 PM
A 6x48 belt/9 or 12" disc stationary sander is a great tool to have. I have a Jet with the 9"disc and it is a great machine. I use it for boxes all the time. I like to make bandsawn boxes and a sander like this is a nice addition. I also have a Delta 1x42" belt sander and dont use it as much, but when I need to get into a small area, nothing works better.

Brian Kent
09-27-2007, 11:15 PM
I use a Grizzly 6" x 48" stationary sander. I got a variety of belts from 80 to 220 grit. I chose it in part beause of very quick belt changes. Before that my 4" x 36" sander worked well too, except for weaker motor. But they reall work well for those small, flat surfaces.