PDA

View Full Version : Oneway scroll chuck grip effectiveness?

Michael Ballent
02-02-2004, 3:37 PM
I am looking at the Oneway scroll chuck to use on my Legacy mill and was wondering if it could hold on to work while a router did it's thing. Also how deep do the jaws need to be on the work for it to have a good grip for both internally and externally? TIA

Bill Grumbine
02-02-2004, 4:57 PM
Hi Michael

I have a Legacy, and I use either my Oneway Talon or Stronghold on it regularly. I started out years ago with the regular scroll chuck (two tommy bars). If there is any way for you to spring the extra few bucks for the Talon, go for it. That way you will only need two hands to install your work instead of three. :D I also use the tailstock for support all the time, as there is no telling where the router bit will send a piece of wood if it gets hold of it.

The tenon that you grab does not need to be huge, but it needs to be well formed. I do very little in the way of recessed grabbing with my chucks anymore. It is too easy to crack the wood.

I do a fair number of pieces that move between the lathe and the Legacy, so the chuck is a real handy thing to have. If I can answer any other questions for you let me know.

Bill

Stan Smith
02-02-2004, 7:16 PM
Bill is right (as usual). I bought a scrollchuck on his recommendation years ago and it has worked just fine. Don't try to open it past the maximum though. I'm going to get a talon chuck because you can control the jaws with a chuck key rather than 2 levers as with the scroll chuck. It's nice to have more than one chuck if you change jaws between spigot, jumbo, etc..

Stan

Michael Ballent
02-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the information. I will check out the Talon version... I do not need to grow a third hand just yet ;)