PDA

View Full Version : Door Threshold Finish

Greg Cuetara
09-25-2007, 7:57 PM
Not sure if this is the right place but the best place that I could think of to put this post. I had a problem with some rot in the bottom of an exterior door. I replaced the door and while I was replacing the door I found out that the threshold was all rotted. I pulled the piece of wood out and it was white oak painted to match the deck. I got a new piece of white oak and trimmed it out to fit the space. The question is what should I finish the oak with. Is it ok to just paint it like before? Is there another finish which would be better...although it would be nice to just paint it because then it would match the deck. I think I figured out the problem with the water or at least I am working on fixing it so hopefully it won't get hit with as much water in the future. I also did not pull out the trim around the door frame so getting the piece back in is going to be a little bit of a chore or I am going to have to cut a few pieces of the trim short and then glue them back in afterwards....Any help here would also be appreciated.
Thank you,
Greg

Phil Thien
09-25-2007, 8:22 PM
White oak is naturally rot resistant. Doesn't mean it can sit in water. But painting it, as long as the paint layer is maintained as it is worn off from foot traffic, will be fine.

Greg Cuetara
09-25-2007, 8:37 PM
Thank you Phil.

Steve Schoene
09-25-2007, 9:36 PM
I agree that paint makes a good choice--better than any clear finish in terms of durability. You want a high quality oil-based enamel. You are very much on the right track in working on getting the moisture undercontrol, if water can still stand on the sill your work will be for nought.

You could add to the water resistance by giving the oak an epoxy coat before the paint, allowing epoxy to soak into the end grain as much as it will. The epoxy must be topcoated since it doesn't stand up well to sunlight. The paint is needed to protect the epoxy as well as the wood.

Rich Engelhardt
09-26-2007, 6:44 AM
Hello,
I can only add - make sure you give all 6 surfaces a coat of something, be it simply primer or a full prime/finish.