PDA

View Full Version : Painting Glass

James MacNab
09-25-2007, 7:23 PM
Hi All,
It has been a while but I'am back.
I was woundering if any one has sand blasted glass and then painted the blasted area. I have a coustomer who wants me to do those 8x8 glass block you see in bathrooms but he wants the blasted area painted. I am woundering what to use for paint that won't come off when they clean the glass. Also should the glass be treated with something befor painting?
Thanks for any help you can give
Jim

Craig Hogarth
09-25-2007, 7:46 PM
http://www.freshnwdesign.com/process.php

This company is owned and operated by former clients of mine from my previous profession. I got to see their operation a few years back.....very cool. If memory serves me correctly, I only remember them painted the sandblasted areas.

Gary Hair
09-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Jim,
Cermark has a product for glass that you could just laser right on the blocks. They have a variety of colors.

Sandblasting and paint filling may work but paint on glass isn't going to stick as well as the Cermark product - even though sandblasting give the glass some tooth, I don't think it will last long when cleaned.

Gary

Mike Null
09-26-2007, 4:35 PM
Actually the tooth from the sandblasting lets the paint adhere rather well. We used acrylic spray paints with pretty good success.

James MacNab
09-27-2007, 7:38 PM
Thanks all, I will give your ideas a try. I was think that I might try a clear coat spray after I have them painted.
Jim

James MacNab
11-10-2007, 5:56 PM
Hi all. I have been doing some research on glass painting and found this paint. It is called Pebeo and you could check out this site for your self. I have bought some to try. The site is http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/08/ and I also found the paint at Michaels arts and crafts stores. The paints are around $5.00 a bottle about 1.5 floz each. I hope this will help any one tryint to work with glass. This paint also works on other materials, dishwasher safe(top rack) and some cleaners.
Good Luck
Jim