PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather have in your shop?

Ron Kellison
09-25-2007, 5:04 PM
Background: I plan to add an 8" jointer to my shop within the next 6 months, and I've pretty much decided on the Grizzly parallelogram unit. I'll combine the 5 hour trip down to Muncy, PA with a trip to Reading, PA for outlet shopping to keep my better half happy.

I also plan to add a larger bandsaw to the shop at about the same time. I've looked over the Steel City 16" unit ($C 975) in a local Ottawa store, and it's a nice unit! However, since I'll already be in Muncy, I'm also considering the 17" Grizzly Extreme ($US 975). With the C$ at par with the US$, I don't have to consider currency exchange rates.

Given the choice, which would you choose?

Regards,

Ron K

Noah Vig
09-25-2007, 5:12 PM
choosing a bandsaw is the most difficult tool purchase for me so far. I am leaning towards the G0514x2, possibly G0513x, but am not fully decided.

BTW, I just bought the shopfox equivalent jointer and am pretty positive I will be very happy with it.

Tom Leasure
09-25-2007, 5:35 PM
Give Laguna a look - I have there 18" model - I think it's the best thing since sliced bread

Gary Keedwell
09-25-2007, 5:41 PM
I would be happy to have a 8" jointer. What kind of head are you getting? My long term plans is to get an 8 incher with the carbide insert head.:rolleyes: As far as band saw goes...I'm still getting by with my 14" Jet.:(

Gary K.

Justin Bukoski
09-25-2007, 6:10 PM
I have in the past owned the Griz jointer and the G513x and I currently own the G514x. I have used a laguna saw and a mini max but not the Steel City one.

I love both of the Griz saws (the 513 and the 514) and found them pretty much as good as the laguna and the mini. My only grip about the Griz saws is they don't have a break so you have to wait forever for the blade to stop - not as safe as it could be.

The jointer was superlative.

Just a thought when you are looking at the jointer and considering the spiral head: when I was faced with that decision, I decided to skip the spiral head and put that money into a Tormek. One of the best decisions I ever made.

(PS anybody know if you can put a breaking motor like I have on my combo on a bandsaw?)

glenn bradley
09-25-2007, 7:16 PM
I have the G0513X but have only my old C-man 12" to compare it to. It seems fabulous to me. Perhaps some folks who have used a variety of larger machines can chime in.

P.s. I used my jointer piggy bank to buy the BS. I am jealous and starting to fill my jointer piggy bank from scratch. I am also favoring the G0490 which is on sale right now, but I'll miss it ;-(

keith ouellette
09-25-2007, 7:33 PM
I only have an old grizzly bandsaw but if I were you I would go with whoever has the best return policy. Is is store credit only or is it you can have your money back and feel free to go somewhere else. Your jointer was a good choice.

Mike Skees
09-25-2007, 8:40 PM
As for a band saw, I have the Steel City 18". Excellent machine, really like it. However, with your space consideration you might want to look at a smaller saw. Recently I bought a 3hp Jet cabinet saw (couple years old) for about 1/2 the cost of a new machine. Cleaned it up and it really looks good. I suggest you check around for a good used machine.

Jim Becker
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
One-stop shopping isn't a horrible idea since you're going to be in Muncy. That's a nice machine for the money. Unless you get into the Euro machines, it appears you're only going to find a few differentiations between that and similar machines from other mass marketers. People with the larger Grizzly band saws seem to like them.

Dave MacArthur
09-26-2007, 1:25 AM
I think I'd rather have the Grizzly. Look at the new 19" 514X2:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=420000
and
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0514X2
This baby has 3HP, footbrake, cast iron trunion, but no worklight (SC does) for $1295.

However, steel city has their 18" with footbrake on sale for $1300
http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/homepage/Announcements_a.pdf

They're both very nice--I saw the SC in person. But I'm pretty much committed to Grizzly now, based on the outstanding customer service and stories I continually read about on this forum, and the involvment by management... we asked in a hundred posts scattered across the internet for cast iron trunions, this tweak, that tweak, and Grizzly read and took action. I have to reward that behaviour with my Pavlovian $$$$$ ;)

John Bailey
09-26-2007, 7:13 AM
I think you'll be happy with either machine. We've had good reports on both. I would consider that the Steel City is local for you. Service may be a bit of trouble for Canadiens from Grizzly.

John

Bob Moyer
09-26-2007, 7:45 AM
Background: I plan to add an 8" jointer to my shop within the next 6 months, and I've pretty much decided on the Grizzly parallelogram unit. I'll combine the 5 hour trip down to Muncy, PA with a trip to Reading, PA for outlet shopping to keep my better half happy.

I also plan to add a larger bandsaw to the shop at about the same time. I've looked over the Steel City 16" unit ($C 975) in a local Ottawa store, and it's a nice unit! However, since I'll already be in Muncy, I'm also considering the 17" Grizzly Extreme ($US 975). With the C$ at par with the US$, I don't have to consider currency exchange rates.

Given the choice, which would you choose?

Regards,

Ron K

Ron,

When was the last time you were in Reading? The only outlets are the ones by VF. Unless she wants to go to VF, you have better options elsewhere in PA.

Vernon Taylor
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
You may want to check out the Lancaster county area , numerous outlets, good food and an interesting area to visit. Check out the farmer's markets.

Bob Moyer
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
You may want to check out the Lancaster county area , numerous outlets, good food and an interesting area to visit. Check out the farmer's markets.

Lancaster has two large outlet areas, others would be in Tannersville (Poconos) and York.

A little off topic, if one gets to the Williamsburg, VA area they have a huge outlet area.

Ron Kellison
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Ron,

When was the last time you were in Reading? The only outlets are the ones by VF. Unless she wants to go to VF, you have better options elsewhere in PA.

We passed through there last year but had no time for shopping. In terms of outlet shopping, I'm just looking for some alternative to our annual trip to LL Bean in Freeport, ME with a stop in North Conway, NH for the outlet malls. If there's better shopping in Western PA I'm game. The important thing is to get to Muncy without losing TOO many points!

Ron Kellison
09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Guys: Thanks for all the comments and advice! I think I'll probably go for the 513X. My next problem will be to figure out how I can get both a jointer and a bandsaw on the same trip! All things considered, it's a problem I'm looking forward to solving!

Regards,

Ron

Bob Moyer
09-26-2007, 12:40 PM
We passed through there last year but had no time for shopping. In terms of outlet shopping, I'm just looking for some alternative to our annual trip to LL Bean in Freeport, ME with a stop in North Conway, NH for the outlet malls. If there's better shopping in Western PA I'm game. The important thing is to get to Muncy without losing TOO many points!

Not sure which direction you are coming from or heading, there is a new outdoor shopping experience outside of Allentown and not to far from the Woodcraft store. http://www.thepromenadeshopsatsauconvalley.com/

Lance Norris
10-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I cant believe you wouldnt be happy with any of the larger Grizzly bandsaws. I love mine. G0457

matt halloran
10-14-2007, 3:26 PM
Give Laguna a look - I have there 18" model - I think it's the best thing since sliced bread

have to agree here...i got the 16HD for college graduation...it's so unbelievable it's easily my favorite tool. If i can use it for anything it's the first thing i reach for.

PS...have the 8" Jointer from grizzly and like it a lot. but I'd save up for the laguna if you can wait.