PDA

View Full Version : Juried show question? Need some help.

Robert McGowen
09-25-2007, 3:56 PM
I am about to jump into the fray of a juried show. The show will end in a sale that will result in a 70/30 split with everything in the show up for sale. It is a gallery and will display the items for 1 to 2 months. All mediums are fair game. In other words, a turning will be judged against a painting, which will be judged against a sculpture, etc. The contestants have to be active duty or retired police officers, so I am hoping that I have a fairly decent shot at getting in do to the narrow field of contestants.

The question is: what would you find most likely to be accepted and stand up well against the other mediums. Also, remember that it will be sold afterwards. Segmented turning, hollow form, bowl, vase, etc. I have a 12" swing and about 18" in length on the lathe and mostly mesuite in larger sizes of blanks.

Thanks for the help. I have about 5 weeks to get something done.

Mike Vickery
09-25-2007, 4:03 PM
I am just guessing but I would say put in what ever one you do best. I think all of them would be fine but for some of the stuff that it is usually more utilitarian (bowls and platters) concentrate on form and astetics instead of function.
If I had to choose one I would guess hollow forms, simply because no one can mistake as anything usefull, so it must be art.

Raymond Overman
09-25-2007, 4:06 PM
Does it cost anything to be in the show other than the 70/30 split if the piece is sold? Do you set the price for the piece you enter? Is the gallery insured in case your piece is damaged or stolen during the show?

If it doesn't cost anything and the Gallery is handling the marketing of the show then 70/30 split is pretty good.

If you set the price for the piece you enter then set it high enough that you are satisfied with the sale and then add the markup for their portion. That makes it easy for you.

The gallery insuring your piece is important in case someone knocks it off a pedestal during the show and it splits in three pieces. If they don't, that's something that you want to know in advance. Not to say don't do the show in that case, just be aware of the risk you're taking.

Not to say woodturner's work isn't worthy but you're probably looking at the sale of the piece being your take and not the prize money. I'm definitely stereotyping but, judges like 2D stuff that's easily defined as art when giving awards at art galleries.

Robert McGowen
09-25-2007, 4:11 PM
If it doesn't cost anything and the Gallery is handling the marketing of the show then 70/30 split is pretty good.

The above is correct.

I read the horror stories from a thread earlier in the week by Tyler and am aware that there are some risks. I am just hoping that any exposure will be worth the risk of something happening. ( I feel your pain Tyler!)

Neal Addy
09-25-2007, 4:15 PM
As far as type of piece, I'd say do whatever you think is the most 'artsy' of your turning styles. You'll be judged by, and against, non-turners who won't be impressed with turning techniques or skill for it's own sake. They'll only be impressed by something ornate or artistically pleasing. The wood should be a total knockout, too.

Paul Engle
09-25-2007, 5:06 PM
I agree with the utility stuff, altho I tried with some arty stuff and got beat out by a stump puller from Montana..... go figure and he was the only wood person in the show , and there as some really talented artists in the area who's medium is wood. Good Luck!

Dick Strauss
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Robert,
Why don't you try to get a few pieces done and we'll help you decide.

I almost laughed when Raymond suggested you should worry about theft given it's an art show for officers. I'd like to see the idiot that tries that one.

Richard Madison
09-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Robert,
Open segment bowl or vase if you have time. Otherwise, solid segmented. Segments impress people and open segments blow them away (if they have any imagination).

Whereabouts you is in Texas? Maybe down the street amongst the rocks and scrubby oak trees? Or downtown Dallas?

Raymond Overman
09-26-2007, 8:15 AM
I almost laughed when Raymond suggested you should worry about theft given it's an art show for officers. I'd like to see the idiot that tries that one.

There's a reason that most morning radio shows have a dumb crooks segment. I've had three small pieces stolen out of two different stores where I was consigning, two pieces stolen from my tent while I was keeping a watchful eye, and two stolen at a woodworking show where the wood turning club I belong to was demonstrating.

I felt pretty good about the pieces that were stolen at the woodworking show since the thieves also hit the Lee Valley booth for a Veritas block plane and another small Veritas bench plane. It's pretty good when your work is comparable to those fine tools even if it is in a thief's eye.

I've also had pieces dropped accidentally by adults and handled by children that were in tow. Luckily I've been able to repair any damage.

My point was that the gallerist isn't necessarily going to be watching your piece all the time so be prepared and have something in writing stating what will happen if your piece is not able to be sold due to theft or damage. Also find out what would happen if the place burned down within the weeks that your piece is being displayed. The gallerist has insurance to cover their loss, how about yours?

More likely than not, everything will go smoothly but as an Eagle Scout I remember the Scout Motto, "Be Prepared"

Greg Savage
09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I've been doing juried shows for years. It is a total crap shoot on what will impress the jury. Never assume that anyone sitting on art jury knows more than you do. I was on a jury committee once where one of the jurors didn't know squat about art, she just donated money to the event, but she had the same vote that I did. Other times the jury is made up of a very avante guard group of people (snobs)who think their views of what is and what is not art are the only views....never considering what the public will actually purchase. There is a difference between a curated show for display or installation and a show that is aimed at selling art.

Best advise is submit your best work and don't try and guess what the jurists will be impressed with. You just never know who is on the jury or even if they are qualified.

Greg Savage
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
The question is: what would you find most likely to be accepted and stand up well against the other mediums.

I almost forgot....Most juries select by category.....wood competes against wood.... metal competes against metal... and flat art(2D) against flat art so that all mediums are represented equally in the show. Once in a while though, a show takes the best entries regardless of category and at that point you are competing against the paintings. Ask the gallery how the show is being juried.

Reed Gray
09-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Is it a gallery that is established, or one that is being set up for this show? That can make a lot of difference. A gallery that has a reputation will have clients that are looking for certain type/grade of things to buy. If it is something that is just being set up for this one show, then you will do better with smaller, cheaper things. The timing indicates that it will be for Christmas shopping. Again, in show business, you never know what will sell.
robo hippy

Brodie Brickey
09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Robert,

If it were me, I'd look at it from the perspective of advertising. I would want to put out the best possible, piece I can create. Someone may look at it and say, 'I can't afford that!' or 'I really like that, but I had something else in mind' each of these responses may result in sales of other items you have finished by Christmas. I would also see if you can offer two items for the show. One hollow form, one lidded box or whatever else you do well.

As far as which will sell best, I'd review with some turners in your area. I've heard that hollow forms aren't selling very well this year. I don't know if that's true for your area or not. Natural Edge bowls always look good.

Another option, if you had greater swing, would be an off center platter as featured in American Woodturner (Fall 2007). There is also a how-to article on 'squirts' which would work well for your current swing.

For an example of 'squirts' see 1st picture in link: http://www.woodturningcenter.org/ITE/2006/gallery11.html
Here's a link to some of Neil Scobie's other work that might give you some ideas. http://www.delmano.com/artists/wood/nScobie/portfolio01.htm

Frank Kobilsek
09-28-2007, 3:36 PM
Robert

Submit a piece you are excited about. Your enthusiam for the piece on Opening Night will add more value than you think.

Also don't be concerned with big. I find people look at a big 16" deocorated platter and Say 'that's beautiful' but think 'where am I going to put it'. A smaller piece they can imagine the shelf they want to place it in thier home or office. If the right demographic is there price doesn't really matter for quality work so you can have a price on a smaller piece that your buddys will laugh at as being way too high even on a small piece.

My two cents worth
Frank

Bill Wyko
09-28-2007, 9:12 PM
I would like to see the segmented vase IMHO. I do like all of it but you know where I'm comming from:D I wish you the very best of luck no matter what you choose.

Dean Thomas
09-28-2007, 10:25 PM
You have to enter this for a reason. If it's to get your name out there, you have to do something that is going to make people remember you and your work. If you're in it just to win and get the piece sold, well... You have to figure out the answer to the question and then create with that answer in mind. IMHO

I agree with Richard about the segmented vessel. Brandy snifter shape maybe, and if you can get a light inside of it to draw attention to the SPECTACULAR WOOD that makes up the piece, that would be better.

I also second Frank's and Neal's comments. You should be excited about the piece, not just that it's going to be in a show, ooh aah. And it has to be a knockout. SUPER color, SUPER grain, SUPER design. The words stunning, spectacular, breath-taking all come to mind.

Something that a friend of mine shared: Remember that you are not creating this to please a bunch of woodturners. An collector of art objects (or a judge!) just does not care about the same things that a turner does. They won't be impressed by lids that pop, threaded spheres, and techie things like that. Might be impressed by piercing used as a texture, but only if there's some sort of message deeper than holes in wood in a pleasing pattern (or void of pleasing pattern for the abstractists among us!). Form, sheen, use of medium, and the all elusive answer to "what is the artist trying to say?" Esoteric and "deep" are words worth remembering in most artsy circles.

Also, if you're going to compete against that kind of broad field, consider your competitors' media and their strong points. Out-do them! Also consider the judges or the winners of previous shows in your area. If modern knocks off their socks, you'll not win with a traditional, "inside the box" piece, even if it's well executed. If classical forms with a twist appeal to the crowd, that's your target. If you're out to win, you have to create to win. Kind of like teaching to the test for educators, know what I mean?

Keep us posted on the process, your decisions, the piece, and the result, please.

dave barnhart
09-29-2007, 1:03 AM
I'm with the San Diego Fine Woodworkers Association. We have judged shows at the County Faire every year (we host, & I've never come close to placing). We have entries from around the world. I would try to find a competition that limits the entries to similar items. An Open medium forum is hard for comparative evaluation. A stuffed teddy bear or painting takes radically different skill sets and labor to make a final object.

www.sdfwa.org

Robert McGowen
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi Everone,

Thanks for the replies, tips, and overall help. Based on the poll and the comments, it looks like I will go with a segmented vase that has more visual appeal than technical wood working skill. It is funny how everyone looks at things differently. I coincidentally had a 3rd year college art major at the house visiting today and her favorite pieces were a mesquite hollow form that was just a practice piece and a small segmented piece that is a mess technically, but looks okay. Well here goes nothing. Thanks again!

TYLER WOOD
10-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry Robert, nothing against your turnings, I just saw no one had selected the last option. I don't like to see things left out, it looked lonely for not having a vote. I say go segmented!!! Catches the eye a little more. Trust me on this, a simple segmented piece (really not very good) beat out my first hf in a second fair I put it in. Goes to show sometimes you can't win them all.

Richard Madison
10-09-2007, 1:16 AM
Robert,
Interesting advice from all. Know that you know this (maybe am just reminding self); if you go "segmented" your glue joints must be perfect.

Once got second place in a small juried show, with a laminated cutting board and domed cheese server thingy, mostly because my boards had multiple tongue/groove perfect glue joints that impressed the judges. First place was an excellent bronze sculpture, and "behind" me were a number of folks with 100 times more artistic ability than I.

So, Good Luck with the jury, and good luck with the sale. Don't "underprice" your work. If you aren't "proud" of it, you can't expect anyone else to be.