PDA

View Full Version : Mounting drawer slides

Jon Endres
09-25-2007, 3:34 PM
Building a kitchen, using KV full-extension slides. I bought the brackets for the front and back of the cabinet. I am using inset drawers so I need the drawer to stop precisely flush with the face frame. What is the best way to make sure that my drawers have exactly 3/4" between the inner drawer box and the front of the face frame so that the drawer front fits flush?

Greg Crawford
09-25-2007, 5:01 PM
Jon, you may want to consider building a mock-up out of something cheap, like MDF, to practice on.

Jon Endres
09-25-2007, 5:16 PM
Thank you, Greg. Why didn't I think of that? :confused: Probably because I never do something smart like a prototype or mockup, and sacrifice the final product.

I will build a mockup and practice.

Bert Johansen
09-25-2007, 5:29 PM
Jon, the slides come with precise instructions on how to mount the units for both inset and flush drawers. In my opinion you don't need to make a mock-up. Just install the slides as instructed to the cabinet as well as the drawers. The slides allow modest adjustment (both front-to-back and up/down) which can be used to tweak the final fit. I fit the drawer in the opening, using a straight edge to get the front exactly right, then cut the REAL front of the drawer using stock the same thickness as the frame. Cut and fit each drawer front individually for best results. I use double-sided tape to hold the front in place until I can screw it in place (from the inside, obviously). I use dimes for spacers on the bottom of the drawer fronts. Others may have their own method, but this works for me. Good luck!

Jon Endres
09-25-2007, 6:03 PM
Thanks, Bert. My only dilemma is figuring out where to mount the slide front-to-back. Appreciate the reminder about the double-stick tape and the trick with the dimes - although I've found that a formica sample works well. Or a penny, for us cheap so-n-so's. :rolleyes:

I bought the Kreg mounting jigs for both the slides and the drawers, so that should be a no-brainer.

Bert Johansen
09-25-2007, 6:14 PM
Jon, my experience is the front of the slide needs to be very close to the front of the cabinet (but behind the frame) Ditto the slide on the drawer. Although I don't have instructions in front of me, I seem to remember about 2mm.

Justin Bukoski
09-25-2007, 6:21 PM
just make a simple jig to drill the holes:

take a rectangular piece of 1/4" as deep as the cabinet and at least twice as wide as the slide and glue a fence on one end. flip it over and measure 3/4" from the cabinet edge and double stick tape one of the slides to the jig. drill out the mounting holes and then remove the slide.

Now you can just put the jig on your marks for the slides and drill the mounting holes.

Does that make sense?

Jon Endres
09-25-2007, 6:26 PM
It makes sense, except that I'm using the brackets for front and back - there will be no holes to drill. That's where my problem seems to be.

glenn bradley
09-25-2007, 7:01 PM
No matter how perfect I align everything there is always some difference in at least one pair of slides when I do inset drawers. Unfortunately I really like inset drawers. Even the really easy overlays I just did can't sway me. Alas.

I get them as close as I possibly can but only use the slotted holes until I am completely done and have seen the completed unit. Then I put in my keeper screws.

If your asking how to get a consistent set-back for the glides, I use a scrap of the false front material as a guide.