PDA

View Full Version : 13 weeks but who's counting

Howard Rosenberg
09-25-2007, 3:18 PM
It's official - I'm confident enough to announce that I've now been off cigarettes 13 weeks - a little more than 90 days.
I waited to announce it here because I'd been ashamed of my last attempt's failure and the supportiveness I received here.

This time I used a new drug from Pfizer called Champix.
As I indicated above, I've quit before - the patch, zyban and cold turkey - and I always slinked back.

After 27 years of, on average, a pack and a half a day of mostly heavy US brands (mmmmm.... unfiltered Camels.....) I knew I was getting to the point of no return.

Other than three MAJOR MAJOR "testy" episodes right in the first week, I didn't experience any mood swings.
And the physical cravings were almost nil.
But after 27 years, the emotional response is still pretty strong.
Even after 13 weeks, I have to wrestle the urge to light up.

Pretty effortless, overall and I can breathe again!
My ten-year old challenged me to footrace the other day.
Something I definitely wouldn't been able to do just a few months ago.

Yep, life ain't bad.

Howard Rosenberg

Von Bickley
09-25-2007, 3:24 PM
Howard,

Congratulations..... Been there... Done that. November 23, 1996, the day I had a heart attack.

Jeff Bower
09-25-2007, 3:40 PM
Howard, congrats!

Tony De Masi
09-25-2007, 3:41 PM
congrats Howard. Soldier on man.

Tony

Chris Foley
09-25-2007, 3:55 PM
Congratulations Howard!

Jim Kountz
09-25-2007, 4:00 PM
Way to go Howard! I just had an appointment last Friday with my Dr about the very same drug. I think Im going to give it a try. Been smoking for 24 years now and its starting to take its toll. Did you do anything special like plan a quit date and get rid of all the ashtrays etc etc? Or did you just jump right in to it? Does it really kill the craving and if so how come you still wrestle with the urge? Dont get me wrong Im glad it worked for you I just have been wondering about these things too!

Jim

Keith Christopher
09-25-2007, 4:17 PM
Howard ,

AWESOME ! Keep on keeping on, look at your son and you'll be reminded to not pick up another one ! Congratulations !

Keith

Howard Rosenberg
09-25-2007, 5:07 PM
I took Pfizer's advice.
I started the drug and continued to smoke for about another week.

As far as ashtrays etc, I didn't smoke in the house.
Actually, it's against the law to smoke inside ANYWHERE in Ontario, so that was not much of an issue.

Champix doesn't make the craving "go away".
It basically blunts the dopamine receptors in your brain.
Replenishing the nicotine (lighting up) is the chemical event that causes a dopamine effect in your brain.

As for still wrestling with it - the last of the physical need diminished by about 20 days.
At the earliest stages, it sure wasn't pretty when residual nicotine, stuck in the cells of my gums, would release and wash back into my nervous system, carried along by my saliva.
But after nearly three decades, emotionally, it's a waaaaay different story.
I may not have the physical need, but I sure get an obsessive WANT for one.

HTH
Howard

jerry cousins
09-25-2007, 5:16 PM
great job - after several years i still get that urge to stop and light one up - i think it is more muscle/mind memory - but it is real.

good on you.

jerry

Gary Keedwell
09-25-2007, 5:47 PM
Good for you:eek: It will be 24 years this spring...1984. LOML and I went cold turkey. I smoked over 2 packs a day and she smoked 1 1/2 a day. I think what helped me is that I took up jogging at the same time I quit. Had to quit jogging after 12 years because my feet couldn't take it no more. Been on my Nordic Cross country skiing machine ever since. (3 times a week.);)
Gary K.

Don Bullock
09-25-2007, 7:42 PM
Howard, that's fantastic news!!! Congratulations!!! :D

Mike Spanbauer
09-25-2007, 8:00 PM
Congratulations Howard, kickin that habit is a PAIN!!!

It's amazing how much better food tasted after I quit, going on 9 years now.

It's so worth it... took the patch AND the nicgum (gum helped the oral and assisted with a minor nic boost every 2-3 hours when the patch was just a slow and steady trodder).

mike

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-25-2007, 9:35 PM
Welcome to the "FREE" club. Use the money saved to get yourself AND LOYL something VERY NICE , like a Romantic Cruise!

Bruce

Jake Helmboldt
09-25-2007, 9:51 PM
Howard; good on ya! every time you get the urge to fire up again think about that kid of yours. How long do you want to be around for them? I keep trying that tack with my mom (grandkids) but she can't stay off the butts.

My inlaws both quit cold turkey years ago; one after having emergency surgery to put a dacron tube in her aorta, the other after the heart attack. MIL now has emphysema despite quitting many years ago; you can't quit too soon, and start working those lungs, they need exercise like anything else.

Jim O'Dell
09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
You're counting, as well as you should be!! Congrats and keep it up!! Remember, this is one count that you can't start over on. Jim.

Tim Quigley
09-25-2007, 10:22 PM
That's awesome...good for you! You ought to check out the Wood Magazine "America's Best Home Workshops" special edition. One of the shops is buy a guy who quit smoking with the incentive (approved by his wife) of "a new tool for every month smoke free, no questions asked." I'd say that's a fine reward!

My dad gave it up when I was just a bit older than your 10 year old. I can't tell you how much I still value the bike rides, hikes, and other stuff we could do once he stoped. He's in his 60s now and is more active than he has been in years! He still gives me a run for my money! Keep it up...for the tools if that's what it takes, for the ability to breath easy, or just because you will enjoy life more with your kids...it's all worth it!!!

Tim

John Bailey
09-26-2007, 7:20 AM
That's great, but............ Who Won the Race??;) ;)

John

Phyllis Meyer
09-26-2007, 8:37 AM
And to everyone that has quit! My husband smoked, then chewed, and has been tabacco free for 3 months also! My Mom had lung cancer (two surgeries) and all the treatments that go along with it. Not a pretty sight! She smoked for 50 years.

I am so very proud of all of you quitters!!!!!:)

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Kyle Kraft
09-26-2007, 8:51 AM
Congratulations Howard! I'm glad to hear of your success with this medicine! For the record, the Pfizer name is Chantix. Don't ask me how I know this;) .

Ron Jones near Indy
09-26-2007, 8:10 PM
Outstanding!!

Jim Becker
09-26-2007, 8:22 PM
Congratulations, Howard...that's wonderful progress! Keep it going!

Joe Mioux
09-26-2007, 8:57 PM
Howard, congrats,

It is funny i just posted a comment on another website about this very subject.

I quit Sept of 1990. Anna, aka Mrs, suspected she was pregnant with our first kid. I told her save the last cig for me, I want to smoke my last one in the morning. She being a woman and a wife, didn't believe me so she smoked it.

I was Po'd, however, after she took the Home preg test and it confirmed pos, I wasn't too angry. ;)

Anyway, over the next year, i still smoked one every couple months ( i was on a bowling league and had teamates as smokers) for the next year. It never hooked me back into the habit.

However, to this day, I still enjoy second hand smoke. go figure?

i also enjoy a cigar. but refrain because Jennifer, kid 3, thinks it will kill me.

Keep it up and don't cheat!!

I haven't had a cig since maybe 1992.

Joe

P.S. That cig she smoked the night before the Home Preg test was her last as well!

Stephen Beckham
09-26-2007, 9:03 PM
Great job Howard - just think of how many tools you'll be able to buy if they raise cigarette taxes again... :D

Keep the faith and believe in yourself - we're waiting another report in 13 more weeks!

Rich Stewart
09-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Congrats Howard. For anybody else thinking about quitting I'll tell you what i did. I told EVERYBODY I was quitting. Tell everybody. That way you have to quit or everybody will be busting your chops about what a weenie you are for not sticking with it. And just think about the time you will have wasted if you ever pick up another, Howard. 6 years for me. Feeling good.

Greg Peterson
09-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Keep up the good work Howard.

If nothing else, just think of all the money you're saving. :D