PDA

View Full Version : What is a gilt edge chisel

Rick Haigh
02-02-2004, 3:13 PM
Can anyone explain to me what a gilt edge chisel is?

Thanks,
Rick

Dave Anderson NH
02-02-2004, 3:41 PM
hi Rick- The short of it is that Sorby in the UK makes a bunch of different styles and types of chisels. The gilt edge is what they regard as their best bevel edged bench chisel. If you are considering buying these, do look at other brands such as Ashley Isles, Barr, or Two Cherries. The Sorbys of the last 6-10 years or so are noted for showing edge collapse and a short life between sharpenings. Old Sorbys however were excellant chisels and held their edge for a long time. The gilt edge are premium priced and I think you can do a lot better for less money or even better still for the same money. IMHO

Harry Miller
02-02-2004, 3:57 PM
hi Rick- The short of it is that Sorby in the UK makes a bunch of different styles and types of chisels. The gilt edge is what they regard as their best bevel edged bench chisel. If you are considering buying these, do look at other brands such as Ashley Isles, Barr, or Two Cherries. The Sorbys of the last 6-10 years or so are noted for showing edge collapse and a short life between sharpenings. Old Sorbys however were excellant chisels and held their edge for a long time. The gilt edge are premium priced and I think you can do a lot better for less money or even better still for the same money. IMHO
Hi Dave, Does your comment re Sorby chisels apply to their mortising chisels as well. Having just lost out on purchasing a couple on eBay I was going to L.V. tomorrow to buy a new half inch one. The only true mortising chisels they have are Sorby.

Rick Haigh
02-02-2004, 10:09 PM

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information. I will research the other brands you recommended. The chisels that I have now are real cheap and do not hold an edge, so I thought I may get one nice chisel.

Thanks,
Rick

Alan Turner
02-03-2004, 9:12 AM
I think that Hirsh also makes mortising chisels, and if LV does not have them, then I think I recall that Highland Hardware does. Hirsh is said to be the same steel as the 2 Cherries, but with a less impressive handle.

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2004, 5:43 AM
The only Sorby Mortising chisel I own is the 3/8" Sash Mortise chisel (the big one) and it is about 4 years old. It seems to do a pretty good job and the increased angle of the grind on the bevel helps prevent the edge deteriorating. My comments were directed mostly to the bench chisels and the paring chisels. Lee Valley has some nice mortising chisels though I've never actually used any of theirs so I can't comment on the quality of edge holding. Given Rob Lee's return and customer satisfaction policies I would never be worried about purchasing from them.

Angelo Schembari
02-04-2004, 7:00 PM
Speaking of bevel angles, just curious as to what angle everyone uses on mortice chisels. Just picked up 2 greenlees with mangled edges.

Alan Turner
02-05-2004, 8:37 AM
Generally, 35 degrees is what I grind to on mortisers.
Alan