PDA

View Full Version : Stock/Power feeder

Dick Sylvan
09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I am interested in buying a power feeder for the jointer of my Hammer combo machine. However, over the last 20-25 years, I can't ever remember seeing any articles/reviews to help me in determining what feeder to buy, 3 vs. 4 wheels, how much power, etc. Can anybody help, point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2007, 3:59 PM
I have a 3 wheel 1/4 horsepower feeder for my shaper, works great, and since it weighs 75 pounds, I can lift it off the machine when required.

I had borrowed a larger one, that was about twice the weight, and it was far too heavy.

A 1/4 HP feeder will push anything you might require, they're pretty strong.....Rod.

Dave Bonde
09-25-2007, 5:19 PM
I also have a 3 wheel 1/4hp unit on my shaper. It has always performed well for me. Dave

Justin Bukoski
09-25-2007, 6:14 PM
Where did you guys get them? I'm thinking of getting one for my Rojek combo but I'd like to be able to use it on the jointer, shaper and tablesaw for long stock...How easy is it to put on the machine?

Giardano Tedesco
09-25-2007, 6:49 PM
Dick,

A 3 roller is smaller and easier to handle. Get as many speeds as possible. I know Felder offers a special bracket which allows you to mount the feeder and when you are not using it flip it out of the way. I would assume Hammer has something similar.

Justin,

You should call Felder and see if you can use their bracket on your Rojek instead of having to drill and tap holes on the machine table.

Giardano

Dave Bonde
09-25-2007, 9:43 PM
Justin, I got mine from Amazon. It is a Delta bought it when they had it on sale and free shipping. I had to drill and tap 4 holes for the mounting bracket. If I was going to use it on more than one machine I would buy more of the mounting brackets so I could just slip the the unit out and move it from machine to machine. Dave

Charlie Plesums
09-26-2007, 12:58 AM
I found that using the power feeder on my jointer defeated the purpose of the jointer... you want to keep the board flat as it goes over the cutters... if it is bowed away from the cutters, you should keep the bow and let the jointer trim the ends of the stock, but the power feeder will push the stock down.

I have a 1/2 hp 3 wheel power feeder, and sometimes feel it is underpowered when used on my 5 hp shaper.

John Renzetti
09-26-2007, 1:33 AM
I found that using the power feeder on my jointer defeated the purpose of the jointer... you want to keep the board flat as it goes over the cutters... if it is bowed away from the cutters, you should keep the bow and let the jointer trim the ends of the stock, but the power feeder will push the stock down.

I have a 1/2 hp 3 wheel power feeder, and sometimes feel it is underpowered when used on my 5 hp shaper.

Charlie, Setting up the PF on the jointer can be tricky. Too much pressure will not only defeat the purpose of the jointer but in a worse case scenario will deflect the outfeed table. But just the right amount of pressure will just about duplicate your hand feeding pressure and produce beautiful consistant results especially on longer boards. The PF setup works best when doing a lot of stock.
Dick, There is a bracket attachment for your Hammer for attaching the PF to the jointer. The small 3 wheel works fine.
For the Rojek owner the one for the Hammer will probably work on your machine but you may have to drill and tap some holes.
take care,
John
(now relocated temporarily to a very hot and sandy place)

J.R. Rutter
09-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Re feeder on jointers: All wheels on outfeed side. Works like a charm. Lets you finesse the infeed.

I like the 1 HP feeder for shapers (especially for big cutters) - more mass + rigid columns are just as (or more) important than actual power used for motion.

If I had to put a feeder on a combo machine, I would pay a lot for a swing-away bracket. Heavy feeders can roll to new positions under their own power if your work surface is contiguous.