PDA

View Full Version : Here I is again, vector question, again

Barb Macdonald
09-25-2007, 8:37 AM
As seems to be usual with this machine, I did a few excellent test vector cuts of 0.375" clear cast acrylic letters, figured out a lovely way to set up mounting holes using colour mapping, but of course, today, day of actually making the darn things, the vector lines aren't completely closing. Where the vector stops/starts has a .01" or so gap. Therefore I get a little crack line where the two didn't join. Cleaned everything, including the beloved encoder strip, checked the alignment, nothing seems too way off. The alignment on this machine is very tricky to do, I've found, I went to telephone tech.support, last time I wanted to check alignment, and by pure dumb luck, my wigglin' the mirrors seemed to "fix" it.
How does this machine know I need to do real work now? Is there an super easy way to align it? The letters are being painted, so it's not THAT big a deal, I just have to wonder why it's doing this. It makes sense that it would be an alignment issue, just seems strange that the same file that worked fine last week, is now giving me grief. Of course, I haven't moved/kicked/jarred/earthquaked or otherwise changed anything about the machine and it's mirrors & lenses.
I have an Epilog 60 watt EXT, 24"x36" bed. The warranty is up, and I'm hoping I can solve this with your expert help. The warranty wouldn't help with this issue of course, anytime I have called Epilog about issues, it's always "clean, clean, clean the machine." Ok, so I have! It's still doing it!
Thanks for any and all thoughts, and have a great day:)
Barb

"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops at all"

Xenetech Rotaries, The above mentioned 60watt epilog ext, Mimaki Plotter, Good ol' CASmate, way too much vinyl, in stock.

Peck Sidara
09-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Barb,

I think you're headed in the right track with the laser beam alignment. Cleanliness of the machine, tracks, pulley's etc. goes along way when it comes to cut and engraving quality. There's no "easy button" for the laser beam alignment but with the assistance of our tech support group, they should be able to diagnose and walk you thru whatever it takes to get your machine back up and running.

It'll take some time and patience via phone and if done correctly, the problem shouldn't return.

303.215.9171 is step one.

Peck Sidara

Joe Pelonio
09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
As Peck said, I have aligned my mirrors a couple of times and it's not too bad but is critical to precision cutting. The first time it took me close to two hours, the second time (over a year later) less than 1/2 hour. Epilog's instruction sheet will help, they can fax or e-mail it to you. Of course yours may be different than my Legend.

Barb Macdonald
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, Peck. I have already contacted tech support. They are going to send me some new allan screws for the mirrors, as the last time it was aligned, the tech girl (Melanie - no longer at engravers express) must have stripped them. I will need to get some needle nose pliers to get 'em out, again. After we've fixed that right hand side mirror alignment, Ian at tech. says to call him back, and he'll walk me through checking vertical alignment on the carriage.
I spoke to tech. support a few months back, to double-check my alignment. He wanted to loosen the allan screws at that time, but just loosening the thumb screw seemed to fix it.
I would comment that the problem does, indeed, return. I would also comment that nothing happened to change anything on that machine, between the test vector cuts and the actual job.
The red dot pointer doesn't line up with the laser beam, and hasn't since the last (Melanie) alignment. She promised at that time, it wouldn't move again. Well, it do.
There is something in the design of that carriage that allows vibrations to loosen connections. (I couldn't get Ian to agree with me there, of course)
I wish I knew how to fix it, or at least be able to perform preventative maintenance to prevent it from re-occurring, as there isn't any warning to the change in alignment, other than less-than-perfect work.
Thanks
Barb

epilog ext 60watt

Peck Sidara
09-25-2007, 1:11 PM
Barb,

If done properly and completely, the alignment will stay in place. Get the new screws and assign one of your employees to the task or schedule some uninterupted time to work with Ian. Start by making sure the machine is level and work the alignment process from start to finish, capping off with applying epoxy glue onto the adjustment screws.

Hang in there, I'm sure our team of experts will get you up and running shortly.

take care,