PDA

View Full Version : .eps?

Brian Robison
09-25-2007, 8:19 AM
I changed a file from corel to .eps yesterday. Isn't it supposed to be a vector drawing? Looked like a bad jpeg.

Kevin Huffman
09-25-2007, 9:12 AM
If the file starts out as a vector image, yes.
If the image started out as a .jpeg/.bmp saving it as a .eps will just be a .jpeg/.bmp saved into a .eps format.
I just tried to export an image as a .eps and I don't see a setting that will turn a already vector image into a really bad raster. But then again I am not the worlds best when it comes to Corel Draw.

Brian Robison
09-25-2007, 9:36 AM
Hi Kevin,
Yes it's a Corel drawing, vector, hairline....

Brian Robison
09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Looks like I can save as a tiff or a wma? Export as curves or text? Am I just lost on this one? It doesn't make sense to me.

Mike Mackenzie
09-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Brian,

Why don't you just publish it to a PDF. It will retain the vector image.

Brian Robison
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Good idea, .eps was requested but that may work better.

Kevin Huffman
09-25-2007, 12:15 PM
You could also try .ai, .dxf, .plt those are all vector file types.
I know a .tif is a raster file, I am not sure about wme.

Or pdf, it is vector also, good call Mike.

Brian Robison
09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I sent it in .pdf I hope they can use it.
I hope they let me know something!
Am I the only one that has a very tough time when
I try to farm out work?

Bill Cunningham
09-25-2007, 8:58 PM
I prefer to get .pdf files, particularly when a customer has a 'mac' :D When someone says their sending me the file in .eps format, I 'always' end up with a low res bitmap, or the dreaded 'dogpaw print'.. If they know what 'convert text to curves' means, I usually have no problems at all importing any vector artwork

Brian Robison
10-04-2007, 12:40 PM
This person can only use a .eps file. I sent a .pdf but it's not working for her.

Mark Winlund
10-04-2007, 5:16 PM
I have had trouble extracting vector images out of pdf files. I can select text or images, but when trying to select a vector image, it doesn't work. Is this a security thing, or is there a setting in acrobat reader?

Mark

Dirk Lewis
10-04-2007, 5:31 PM
EPS (encapsulated post script) format is often used in the ADOBE domain, primarily Illustrator and to a lessor degree Photoshop.

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2007, 5:38 PM
I have had trouble extracting vector images out of pdf files. I can select text or images, but when trying to select a vector image, it doesn't work. Is this a security thing, or is there a setting in acrobat reader?

Mark
I get pdfs from customers and have no problem opening them in X3. Acrobat Reader is just that, a reader program so you cannot do anything with the file.

Scott Shepherd
10-04-2007, 6:44 PM
It could very well be the security. Open up the reader, click on "Document" at the top, then "Security" and then "Show Security Properties". Make sure the "security" tab is selected. It'll tell you what you can and can't do with that pdf file.

Kelly Bingham
10-05-2007, 2:19 AM
Brian
If I understand right - you exported it as a eps - then tried to import to check it? Make sure when you import it that you have the "type of file" setting at PS, PRN, EPS. If you leave it at All File Formats then you will get a fuzzy jpg-y look to the import even tho the file is a good vector eps.

Brian Robison
10-05-2007, 8:12 AM
Kelly, THAT"S WHAT IT WAS... WOOOO HOOOOO!
Thanks all for helping, especially Joe. Now I just have some clean up work to do and it should be ready.