PDA

View Full Version : Urban myth??

Rick Potter
09-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Yesterday, a friend was telling me that Lowes got started after Mr. and Mrs. Home Depot divorced, and she promised to put him out of business by opening a competing store near each HD that he opened. He says that is what the HD employees were telling him in Helena Mt.

I imagine this is just another urban myth, but perhaps someone in the know could play mythbuster, or verify.

Rick Potter

daniel lane
09-25-2007, 12:39 AM
It could be a lie to cover up the awful truth, but from their web site:

Founded in 1946, Lowe’s has grown from a small hardware store in North Carolina to the second largest home improvement retailer worldwide and the 7th largest retailer in the U.S.

The Lowe's story began in North Carolina when H. Carl Buchan, part owner of the North Wilkesboro Hardware Company, envisioned creating a chain of hardware stores. At the time, Lowe’s was a typical, small town hardware store selling everything from overalls and snuff to wash tubs, work boots and even horse collars.

Carl Buchan later bought-out his brother-in-law and partner, James Lowe, and foreseeing the post-World War II building boom, concentrated on selling only hardware, appliances and hard-to-find building materials. By eliminating wholesalers and dealing directly with manufacturers, Lowe's established a lasting reputation for low prices. Sales grew over time and additional Lowe’s stores opened in neighboring towns throughout western North Carolina.

The company went public in 1961, and began trading on the New York Stock Exchange in 1979 (NYSE: LOW). During this time, U.S. housing starts soared and professional builders became Lowe's loyal customers, accounting for the majority of Lowe’s business. In 1982, Lowe’s had its first billion-dollar sales year, earning a record profit of $25 million. Lowe’s stores then reported serving a new type of customer: do-it-yourself homeowners seeking to improve the value of their properties.

Anticipating their needs while still accommodating contractors, Lowe’s began to enlarge its stores and expanded its merchandise offerings. The modern Lowe’s began in 1994, when our new store expansion consisted of only large stores, which we define as stores with greater than 85,000 square feet of selling space. In 2006, our expansion continues, opening a new store on average every three days with our 117,000-square-foot (117K) stores in the nation’s larger metro markets and our newer 94,000-square-foot (94K) stores in the nation’s small to mid-sized markets. We’ve also announced plans to open our first stores in Canada in 2007.

Lowe’s stores stock 40,000 products and have hundreds of thousands more available by special order-- offering practically everything customers need to build, beautify and enjoy their homes.

Although times have changed since Lowe's first opened its doors in 1946, Lowe’s values have not – the company remains committed to offering quality home improvement products at the lowest prices, while delivering superior customer service.

For more information visit Lowes.com.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=frameSet&url=lowes.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=company_overview

Regards,

daniel

Gary Keedwell
09-25-2007, 7:48 AM
That's one myth I never heard of. I worked for Lowes during the Christmas season 2 years ago. I like it alot better then HD.:)
Gary K.

Matt Meiser
09-25-2007, 8:45 AM
Can't be true according to what my brother in law tells me. He says they are owned by Wal-Mart--because they are frequently near each other and painted the same colors. By that reasoning, I figure the Post Office is in on the deal too. :rolleyes:

Karlan Talkington
09-25-2007, 9:35 AM
Does that mean the Waltons are reading our mail? ;)

Mario Lucchesi
09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
If so we better just say "good night Johnboy" and end this thread.

Nancy Laird
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
Here's another story:

Lowe's is older than HD.

http://www.snopes.com/business/revenge/lowes.asp

Nancy (87 days)

P.S. Please note that this blurb was last updated in 2005--when Nardelli was still the head honcho.

glenn bradley
09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Does that mean the Waltons are reading our mail? ;)
Good night, Jon-boy.

Rick Potter
09-26-2007, 2:13 AM
So much for the Montana connection. Another urban myth debunked. I will tell my misinformed friend.

Rick Potter

Mike Hood
09-26-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.snopes.com/business/revenge/lowes.asp