PDA

View Full Version : Just how water resistant is 2002GF glue?

Art Mulder
09-24-2007, 9:44 PM
So I goofed. A bit.

Sunday evening I was having a bit of fun after a long boring planing session... I planed and cut up some strips of scrap maple, and also cut an old piece of purpleheart into strips. Then I arranged them together on some cauls and started gluing them together to make a cutting board.

I was about 3-4 strips in (out of 25 strips in total) when I realized that I was using my old standby glue: Lee Valley 2002 GF cabinetmaker's glue. This is my standard glue for just about everything in the shop. However, seeing as how this is going to get washed regularly -- presumably -- I should have been using Titebond II glue. However, I didn't actually have any TB-II right now. (I have some LePage "outdoor" glue that I picked up, but I have experience with it.)

Oh well, I was already committed to the 2002GF so I figured I would just press on. I had intended to give this cutting board away, and I still might. But I'm going to let it sit at least a week to get good and set, and then test it out myself in the sink a few times and then let it sit some more and see.

Anyone else have any experiences with Lee Valley 2002 GF glue and mild water resistance?

Gary Keedwell
09-24-2007, 10:05 PM
The chart gave it a "moderate" in water resistance...I think that is one notch below "good".:( :)

Gary K.

Art Mulder
09-25-2007, 7:03 AM
The chart gave it a "moderate" in water resistance...I think that is one notch below "good".:( :)

Gary K.

Where is this chart?

Gary Keedwell
09-25-2007, 7:41 AM
Where is this chart?
This chart is in 2007/2008 Lee Valley& Veritas Catalog. Page 151, bottom right hand corner.
Gary K.