PDA

View Full Version : Steel City wants your business!

Nancy Laird
09-24-2007, 8:39 PM
I've attached a flyer that Steel City has published regarding rebates and added values for their machines. This rebate/added value program is good through March 31, 2008. If you are in the market for a new machine, you can't go wrong with SCTW.

(Moderators: if this should be in classified, please feel free to move it, but I felt it would get better exposure here.)

Nancy (88 days)

Don Hein
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, I can't make out the text in the flyer, even with "enlarge." Nancy, what's the "88 days" about?

Wilbur Pan
09-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Here's the original Steel City rebate flyer (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pdf/steelcity_rebateflyer.pdf). It's a PDF file. That should be more readable.

Nancy Laird
09-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, I can't make out the text in the flyer, even with "enlarge." Nancy, what's the "88 days" about?

RETIREMENT!!! December 21 is my last day in the rat race--I give up, the rats won. I'm gonna stay home and run my business, turn wood on the lathes, burn wood on the lasers, and go to work in my jammies if I want to. Blessed, glorious retirement. Social Security office, here I come!!

Nancy (88 days)

Jim Dunn
09-25-2007, 7:58 AM
go to work in my jammies Nancy (88 days)
Why do women wait until they retire to go to work in their jammies:confused:? My wife wears coveralls around the house to clean:D

Thanks for the heads-up Nancy.

Larry Anderson
09-25-2007, 9:18 AM
Being retired but working to days a week allows me to buy lots of stuff I don't need. This offer is very tempting. I noticed that toolking ships them for only $7.95. While looking at their various saws, I was wondering what accounts for the $50 price difference between the 35606 and 35675? The fence?

Matt Meiser
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
This reminded me that my dealer owes me a laser for my drill press. And that I still need to build a table for said drill press. Even without the laser, I'm very happy with it so far and would highly recommend it. Though all I've drilled so far has been tile, I can already tell it is a much more refined machine than my generic drill press.

Bob Wingard
09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't believe Steel City wants MY business at all .. .. .. at the IWF show last August, I approached the reps and inquired about some parts I needed to repair a stock feeder. They said to call them right after IWF broke up to give them the details of what I needed. I called a week later, and was told everyone who knew anything about feeders was out of the country for a visit to a manufacturing facility, but they would get right back to me as soon as they returned. They must have acquired residency there and never returned, 'cause I never did get that callback !! !! !!

Nancy Laird
09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Bob, may I suggest that you give SC one more chance to make good. It's always possible that messages get lost or misplaced, but I know that Scott and the guys at SCTW are serious about their customer service. They don't have a phone tree, no "press 1 for English." EVERYONE in the company is on "phone duty" and if a phone rings three times, someone will pick it up. You will always get a live person to answer the phone (unless, of course, it's after hours).

Nancy (87 days)

Bob Wingard
09-25-2007, 1:38 PM
Nancy .. I appreciate your willingness to get involved here, but I have pretty much solved the parts problem. I accdentally got a brand-new Forrest WWII into the stock feeder, ruining the blade and chewing up the plastic cover, drive chain & sprocket on the feeder. We were able to TIG up the missing material from the sprocket & recut the teeth after finding the sprocket available from DeWalt/DELTA for about $140. They were, however able to sell me a cover & chain to finish off the repairs .. in fact. I'm waiting for the parts as we speak. I'm not trying to be overly critical of the guys at Steel City, and if the Delta parts don't come in, I'll try them again, but I do think they dropped the ball on this one. Not unusual for a young company, but worth noting.

John Shuk
09-26-2007, 7:56 PM
I gotta say this is starting to sound a bit like advertising Nancy.

Deck Reagan
09-26-2007, 8:36 PM
I agree it sounds like an add campaign.

You might get a live person when you call but that does not assure you of quality customer service. I'm sure they are trying hard to offer good CS but this is the quickest way to loose future sales. Word of mouth can help your or hurt you.

Deck

Nancy Laird
09-26-2007, 9:09 PM
I gotta say this is starting to sound a bit like advertising Nancy.

I agree it sounds like an add campaign. Deck

Gentlemen, this post was put up on Monday night, and if you'll read my original post, you'll see that I said that if the moderators felt it belongs in classified, to feel free to move it. I believe that if it needed to be moved, it would have been moved by now.

There isn't any difference between this post and all the posts that are put on here telling about deals on Amazon and the bay and Rockler and Woodcraft and HD and Lowe's, Festool, Grizzly, etc. etc. etc. I'm providing a service to those who are or may be considering buying a machine.

I do NOT work for Steel City; I'm not getting a kickback or a commission. I work full-time for an attorney and part-time running my own business. I happen to know several of the honchos at SCTW because of my spouse's employment and I consider them as friends. I happen to believe in the machines, the quality and workmanship, and the company. We have had good experiences with their machines and will buy them again if and when the need arises. And no, my husband does not profit from this post either. He's on salary!

If they hire LOML and me next spring to do demos for them, then I'll tell you. Until then, I'm just a very satisfied customer.

Nancy (86 days)

Nancy Laird
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Dirk, how long ago did this happen?

Nancy (86 days)

Bob Wingard
09-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I gotta clear this up before it gets blown up and out-of-context .. .. .. I spoke with several of Steel City's reps at last year's I.W.F. show .. .. .. the actual problem I had was that my stock feeder slipped and got into the saw blade, doing considerable damage. My stock feeder is actually a Delta unit, but it looks SO much like a Steel City unit that was on display, I asked them if they were, in fact, identical internally also ?? They assured me that there are only 2 major manufacturers of that particular feeder, and everyone is simply rebadging them, and that the parts would certainly interchange. Since I live in Tennessee, I figgered I'd keep the business close to home, so I asked them how to go about ordering the needed parts. One guy gave me a number to call, and said to just wait 'till after I.W.F. was over so they had time to get back to normal business. I waited a few weeks and called over to Nashville, and the lady who answered was unable to take my parts order as all I had was Delta numbers and names, but she said someone would get back in touch with me as soon as they all got back from a trip abroad. Either she didn't give them the message, or they simply failed to act on it .. .. .. either way, I can't condemn them for a simple oversight. My original comment was intended to be just a bit of sarcastic humor .. . I didn't mean for it to start a full-blown debate about their business practices. They offered to support a product they didn't even sell, but something got crossed up and they failed to do so .. .. .. for that, I do not overly criticize them. At least their intentions were noble .. .. ..

I apologize for letting my failed attempt at humor cause grief for these guys .. .. .. it's tough enough to get a fledgling company off the ground without any of my "HELP". When we spoke at the show, they certainly appeared to be very interested in helping me solve my problem, even though it was really none of their concern.

Stan Welborn
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
...If they hire LOML and me next spring to do demos for them, then I'll tell you...

Well, I guess that explains a lot to me why no matter what piece of equipment anyone asks about, table saw, jointer, bandsaw, planer... you're quick to laud the Steel City unit as the one to purchase.

Darren Ford
09-27-2007, 12:06 AM
I must admit that I expected the word "advertising" to be yelled at first, but after reading the subsequent posts, it seems like genuine concern on the part of Nancy. I don't think she is faking it to land a job. I have had the same reaction when someone has a negative experience with a company that has gone out of its way to be wonderful to me. I will also admit that I have never heard of Steel City until very recently, but their CS appears to be top notch when tasked with reasonable requests (even Bob has acknowleged his problem is unique). I thinks its awesome that a newcomer can burst onto the scene and establish a name. I will consider them the next time I need to buy a tool.

Mike Heidrick
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
I own the drill press. Mine was purchased from a Joliet dealer and when I assembled it I had two spots that were missing paint from casting areas and a couple of the set screws were not in very good shape and easily stripped. I also bought a alaser and also had issues with some set screws. I called SC and they fixed me right up. They sent me touch up paint, the set screws I needed, and a new drill press laser - the entire laser!! with an apology and an assurance that if I needed anything else they would help me out! I think they have great customer service for parts needs. For the money this rill press is an EXCELLENT BUY!!! I do not do demos for them and do not live close but anyone who is close to me and wants to see the drill press just me know.

BTW - the addresses for Delta and SC are on the same road - at least I have had parts coming from two addresses on the same road from both vendors. Delat service center is also local to Bob I believe. I am also a HUGE Delta fan. Delta has great CS as well - call them and ask for Bonnie - she is great!!

Dirk Lewis
09-27-2007, 1:08 AM
about a month ago right in the middle of their move. Which is why I deleted my comments. I'm just disappointed in the response I got and as a result they lost an easy sale(s). I was tempted to try again with a BS, but as I said earlier, a little gunshy.

Ed Blough
09-27-2007, 11:25 AM
I've attached a flyer that Steel City has published regarding rebates and added values for their machines. This rebate/added value program is good through March 31, 2008. If you are in the market for a new machine, you can't go wrong with SCTW.

(Moderators: if this should be in classified, please feel free to move it, but I felt it would get better exposure here.)

Nancy (88 days)

Nancy
Steel City may want your business but they sure didn't want mine. At the Wood Working Tool Show here in Tampa they had a booth. I sought them out to examine their products. There were three guys standing around talking and every time I asked them (respectfully and courteously) a question. They gave me short curt answers that to me felt like they were talking down to me. They gave me the feeling they felt they were wasting their time talking to me.

I thanked them for their time and walked away. To me these guys actions, attitudes and responses to my questions told me Steel City didn't want me for a customer.

John Shuk
09-27-2007, 8:19 PM
I want everyone to know that I sent Nancy a PM apologizing for making a public comment here. I should have been a bit more tactful and I apologize.
John

Nancy Laird
09-27-2007, 8:51 PM
Thank you, John, I appreciate this public post and your PM (just to let you know, he said some pretty nice things to me:) ).

And Stan, I need to clear something up for you. I frivolously made the comment about Steel City hiring LOML and me. The time line is as follows:

Hubby started selling SCTW machines over two years ago, and having known Scott and Tom from their tenures at other companies, he was sort of "in" on the initial debut and the initial efforts of the company to enter the market. Then his company got some of the machines, and he had the opportunity to look them over carefully and see how they are made and what innovations have been made over some of the other brands. Then, last winter, we bought a jointer and a planer and I've posted elsewhere on our experiences with them, so I won't repeat it here. Suffice to say, we are extremely impressed with the SCTW machines and won't hesitate to recommend them to anyone and everyone as an alternative to Delta/PM/Jet/Grizzly etc.

Fast forward to July at the AWFS in Vegas, we were there when SCTW unveiled their granite-top machines and both of us were impressed. We spent some time with Scott, Tom, Mark, and Jim and the others in their booth and hubby even had a hand in selling a jointer for them. We organized a Creeker party at AWFS and although reps from a number of companies were invited to join us, the SCTW gang was the only group who showed up. Seven of their people came, mingled, talked to everyone there, answered questions, provided goodie bags, and bought a round of drinks. They were there for over an hour. At some point in Vegas, hubby mentioned that we were both planning to retire within in the year from our current careers - me in December, hubby in March 2008. Tom approached hubby with the idea that there may be a possibility that SCTW will contract with us to provide demos of their machines at various shows around the country. That's as far as it has gotten at this time. The idea is still there, it is being considered on both sides, but that's it. There have been no negotiations regarding contracts, no money offers, nothing besides just some talk thus far. And that's where we are.

I reiterate--I don't work for SCTW, hubby doesn't work for SCTW. Both of us just like their machines---a LOT--and that's the bottom line and the end of the story. I'm certainly not going to stop recommending the machines here or elsewhere because I believe in the machines, the company, and the people.

And that's the rest of the story.

Nancy (85 days)

Nancy Laird
09-27-2007, 8:55 PM
Nancy
Steel City may want your business but they sure didn't want mine. At the Wood Working Tool Show here in Tampa they had a booth. I sought them out to examine their products. There were three guys standing around talking and every time I asked them (respectfully and courteously) a question. They gave me short curt answers that to me felt like they were talking down to me. They gave me the feeling they felt they were wasting their time talking to me.

I thanked them for their time and walked away. To me these guys actions, attitudes and responses to my questions told me Steel City didn't want me for a customer.

Ed, I don't know what to say about your experience. It is totally out of character for the SCTW reps that I know. Is there a way for you to give them another chance?

Nancy (85 days)

Michael Lutz
09-27-2007, 9:53 PM
Nancy,

My only current issue with Steel City is that the I don't have a local dealer within a 2 hour drive. I would like to see something before I buy it. So until I can see some of the products namely a bandsaw, I will pass. This applies to all tool makers, not just Steel City.

Mike

Nancy Laird
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Michael. Ouch!! That's a problem, in that their distribution network right now is rather small, compared with the "biggies." Do you have a Woodcraft nearby? I think they are starting to distribute SCTW?

Nancy (85 days)

Michael Lutz
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Nancy,

Our local Woodcraft is the only one in the state to not carry the SC tools. I guess that each franchise has the option of carrying the brand or not.

Mike

Roger Newby
09-29-2007, 9:27 AM
Enjoy retirement Nancy. My count down is just over 1000 days! Whew! sounded better when I said 3 years. LOL!
Roger

Larry Anderson
09-29-2007, 9:45 AM
Roger and Nancy, I can say you will certainly enjoy retirement. I've been retired for 3 yrs now, although I still work 2 days a week to support my frivilous woodworking and astronomy equipment purchases.