PDA

View Full Version : Underground Images

Bill Stein
09-24-2007, 4:06 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a need to cut some silhouettes of cave formations. Nothing specific, just general representations of what you would see during a cave tour -- stalactites, stalagmites, columns, etc.

Does anybody have some vector images that they would be willing to share? Or even some non-vector images that you think would look good if converted to a vector and cut in silloutte?

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Stephen Beckham
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Bill,

I couldn't find much - but as to not leaving you hanging - check out this site. You might be able to find a couple others that would have a 2D version or map of their cave. That would be a great image to TRACE for a vector art...

http://www.nps.gov/cave/photosmultimedia/index.htm

It's the Carlsbad Cavern website with some very large photos of their cavern. You should be able to download and convert a couple of their TIFs.

Sorry - nothing else to offer...

Steve

Bill Stein
09-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Stephen,

I'll try a couple of them and see how they come out. The big problem, of course, is when you do a silloutte and lose the detail of a photo a lot of times the result is just an unrecognizable "blob".

Bill

Frank Corker
09-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Bill this is from one of the pictures on the site. I darkened the dark bits and whited out the reverse. I then imported it into corel and did a trace. This is the result but I think it what Steve is referring to. By the way I only spent two minutes on this but with a bit of effort the result would have been much better.

Bill Stein
09-26-2007, 1:13 PM
Stephen and Frank, you are both "da man"!

Using the photos that Stephen pointed me to and with a little guidance from Frank on how to process them, I am getting what I need.

A Big Thanks to both of you.

Bill