View Full Version : Lathe Value?

Jon Lanier
09-24-2007, 3:34 PM
I have an opportunity to get this lathe for $110. (Delta/Rockwell 1460) circa. 1955. Do you think it would be worth it? It does not have a tool rest nor any drive center/face plates/ tail stock. Will need to do some restoration of course.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6010/possiblelatheok0.jpg

Harvey M. Taylor
09-24-2007, 4:14 PM
If restoration is your thing, get it by all means. Myself, I would rather be turning. Not to say you couldnt turn a buck by restoring, that just isnt my bag.My thought. Max

Gordon Seto
09-24-2007, 4:30 PM
There are plenty of Delta tool rest on eBay. It still has the banjo. I have seen just the pair of cast iron legs would go for over hundred $ on eBay. The rest depends on the conditions.

Gordon

Randy Privett
09-24-2007, 4:47 PM
Jon,
Check to see if the motor is 3 phase, it looks like it might be. This could be an added expense if you need to replace it.

Randy

Brodie Brickey
09-24-2007, 5:46 PM
In addition to the motor, I'd also check to see that headstock and tailstock line up with a live center & spur drive in them.

Paul Engle
09-24-2007, 5:48 PM
There is something about " old iron " that makes restoration worth the effort. Mine is rehabing old plain's ,and getting that " perfect peel " It's more of a hobby than a job, If your schtick gets a kick out of working with your hands , ah say go for it man. :D

Mike Vickery
09-24-2007, 6:08 PM
Since no one else has asked I will. What kind of turning are you interested in. If you are primarily interested in making bowls, this might not be good for you. It looks to be about a 12 inch swing and most of the old spindle lathes have to high a minimum spead.
If you are intereted in spindles, pens, bottle stoppers, and the occasional small bowl or other smaller diameter projects maybe it is a good fit.

Jon Lanier
09-24-2007, 6:19 PM
Thanks guys, some good thoughts and questions for me to ponder over. I had given up on a bigger lathe and had decided that when the time is right I'll go with a Rikon Midi. This opportunity just kinda presented itself. At first I thought he just wanted to unload it... (give it away to a good home). Which I would have done in a heart beat. I then would had plans for DC Motor and driver. I would love to restore, but I just don't really have that kind of time, I'd rather be turning. So I think I know what I may do.

Rich Souchek
09-24-2007, 7:12 PM
Jon,
If the parts are there to get her running, then it is a good deal and I would run for it. The tool rest is $15 or so, and the drive spurs are cheap if one orders the Jet or Grizzly equivalents. What else is missing?
The standard motor was 1/2hp, but most of us are replacing the 1/2 hp with a 3/4 or 1 hp motor. It is easy to add a VHF AC motor dive to get variable speed also if the motor is 240 volt 3 phase.
The model shown is better than later gap bed models and is desireable.
Rich S.

Jason Christenson
09-24-2007, 7:20 PM
...most of the old spindle lathes have to high a minimum spead.

That minimum speed can most likely be cut in half with a simple change of pulleys.

Jason

Wilbur Pan
09-24-2007, 7:29 PM
I had given up on a bigger lathe and had decided that when the time is right I'll go with a Rikon Midi. This opportunity just kinda presented itself.

If you are going to go with a Rikon midi, this Delta lathe will have about the same swing, but a longer capacity between centers. If the Rikon will suit your needs now, then this lathe will too.

I would love to restore, but I just don't really have that kind of time, I'd rather be turning. So I think I know what I may do.

If so, can I have a crack at this lathe? ;)

Brian Weick
09-24-2007, 8:21 PM
I have seen several - and I mean several of these lathes on e-bay-/machinery exchange/ OWWM sell for $120.00- to $850.00 , but that high price is because of the exceptional care and condition of the lathe and lots of goodies as far as tooling is concerned. what do you plan on turning with the lathe- because there are limitations with that lathe. But if you like it that much- $75.00 would be the ceiling price- this lathe needs some TLC to come back to life, It's not in bad shape but to get it to operate well and look outstanding is going to take some time and money.
My Opinion,:rolleyes:
Brian

Shane Whitlock
09-24-2007, 9:26 PM
I love restoring old woodworking machines, my shop is full of them, so I would jump on that in a heartbeat, especially if ya don't have to pay for shipping.
The 1460 is a 12" by 36" lathe. And like Gordon, I too have seen just legs go for more than what the asking price is.
IMHO it wouldn't take much to get this up and going. All the main parts are there.