PDA

View Full Version : Baby Crib design

Jim Hill 2
02-02-2004, 12:29 PM
My wife has been looking at baby cribs and is naturally drawn to the $800 Pottery Barn types. My question is why do most cribs seem to have slats on 2 to 4 sides? Don't most people have these pushed up against a wall? I was thinking about making one with raised panels on three sides and slats on the only side the baby will be able to see out of. There will be a bumper type cushion around the lower inside. Do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions? Should I just pitch the idea and buy a boring crib?

Bob Lasley
02-02-2004, 2:30 PM
Jim,

I see no reason a crib should have more than one slatted side if its going against a wall. Work your design out and go for it.

You might want to check this site out for safety info on cribs, particularly slat spacing.

www.baby-place.com/articles/crib_safety.htm

Bob

Don Abele
02-02-2004, 5:58 PM
Jim, not sure this applies to you, but being in the military and moving a lot it does for me. The area you set the crib up for this child may be against a wall with 2 sides blocked, but what about the next or if you move? For our first child the crib centered on a wall with room on either side of it (big room). For the second it was in a corner with 2 sides blocked (much smaller room). Realistically though, I think 1 side open with slats (that being the side that slides down) would be perfect.

Be well,

Doc

Robert Goodwin
02-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Since most of the cribs I have seen ( at retail stores )are actually out of a solid hardwood, I would think the designs that have all slats are more of a cost savings than anything. Although I just got done cutting 40 mortices for a cradle I am working on, and I am starting to lean towards the solid sides regardless of the cost :). I enjoy cutting mortices by hand, but when a dealine is looming ( This dealine does not got pushed off) I am starting to think a morticer might be my next tool.

Lee Schierer
02-04-2004, 9:28 AM
One other factor that calls for the use of slats is weight. A side with raised panels is going to weigh considerabley more than a side with slats.