PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Good Morning...well...it's probably near lunch time for some of you.
24 Sep 2007

I have been busy working on the kitchen table project and it took me almost 2-1/2 days just to figure out how to cut 90 degree tenons on a table skirt piece that is all "curved" and no straight sections at all. I thought I was going to blow a gasket trying to figure this one out. I understand that doing curved work is an essential part of a woodworkers skillset, but there isn't a lot of info out the net about how to build a table skirt via the "brick-stack" method, or how to vacuum veneer a curved piece like this. It's projects like this where I learn a LOT about various woodworking techniques but it's also times like this where I loose a LOT of time in researching, head-scratching, ordering a video that would hopefully help me "make it through the night" on veneering work and such as that.

Any way, I'm back to finishing up the joinery on the curved skirting and I should be ready for table base glue up tomorrow and I'm hoping to be ready for applying a finish to this table by next week.

For some strange reason, I keep getting kitchen table to build for people and I have one to build out of 40 year old Walnut for a neighbor down the street.

Let's just say that life has been "interesting" with family issues and woodworking issues, but as I always say......"this didn't come to stay, but it came to pass....".

I'm still employed at the day job and I appreciate all of you that had me in your thoughts and prayers.

So what did YOU do this weekend??????

Best of weeks to you all.

keith ouellette
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
My neighbor's wife wanted to get him a guided fishing tour for his birthday(I know this has nothing to do with woodworking) and asked me if I would go (I paid my own way). It was kinda last minute and the only guy available wasn't much of a guide. He was just looking for a way to help make his boat payments. I caught more than he did. It was a big rip off with money spent that should have went towards my shop.

Tyler Howell
09-24-2007, 12:23 PM
A little shop time in the place up north.
Worked on the toyls. A little winterizing and entertained friends.
Beautiful fall weekend with a lot of leaf color.:cool: :D

Tony De Masi
09-24-2007, 1:35 PM
Spent the weekend visiting with my brother. He lives in California and doesn't get to visit the east coast very much, which leads to not seeing him very much. we just sat around jabbering from Saturday morning til Sunday afternoon when I took him to D.C. for the beginning of a weeklong conference he is attending. I'm not sure this would normally be something to write about here in this forum but you see my brother is not only my brother but he is my hero. I am alive because of his selflessness. You see my brother donated a kidney to me about 9 1/2 years ago and I've been going strong ever since. Needless to say it was an emotional time when I first saw him Saturday morning and when I dropped him off Sunday afternoon.

I was a great weekend.

Tony

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2007, 1:46 PM
Spent the weekend visiting with my brother. but you see my brother is not only my brother but he is my hero. I am alive because of his selflessness. You see my brother donated a kidney to me about 9 1/2 years ago and I've been going strong ever since. Needless to say it was an emotional time when I first saw him Saturday morning and when I dropped him off Sunday afternoon.

I was a great weekend.

Tony

EXCELLENT Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your brother is "truly" a HERO!!!!! What a gloat for LIFE!!!!

Jim Dunn
09-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Spent the weekend working on this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62727 project. It's slow going as I'm determined to do it all myself, as I mutter under my breath "selfish little brat kids always helping somebody else and not the old man".

Nancy Laird
09-24-2007, 3:21 PM
Went to the NM State Fair on Friday and walked my legs off. Spent Saturday recuperating and running some laser jobs, Sunday a couple more jobs and a gathering at the home of the NM Wood Turners' president as a joint gathering/thank you to the people who helped out in the woodworking area of the Creative Arts section (LOML was a judge). You would not have believed some of the woodworking and turnings that were entered. Some REALLY pretty and well-done stuff. I wish I'd had my camera.

Just returned from lunch - two deliveries - $500! It's a good Monday.

Nancy (88 days)

Matt Meiser
09-24-2007, 4:00 PM
Went on a camping trip with most of my brothers about an hour south of Columbus, OH. I also spent Tues-Friday in Columbus for work so it was a long week. We got home Sunday early afternoon to find that the painter had finished our master bath, so I spent the rest of the day installing trim, toilet, towel bars, and shower door. And this morning I took the first shower in there. About all that is left is installing the tub and some punchlist type items. I'm hoping to have it DONE by the end of next weekend.

Fred Voorhees
09-24-2007, 4:12 PM
Nothing shop wise really, with the exception of some cleaning up after the latest projects were finished. Picked up another half keg of Coors Light Friday night to put away for the bar. Saturday morning I got the truck washed and waxed in preparation for the upcoming trip to Syracuse,NY and the annual DIRT Week stock car racing on the mile track at the state fairgrounds. Cut grass, did some more prep of the camper in relation to said upcoming trip and fussed around the house most of the weekend. Sunday was spent watching the NASCAR event from Dover.

Karlan Talkington
09-24-2007, 4:38 PM
I had a pretty decent weekend. I'm a fledgling woodworker and don't have much of a shop as of yet but I did stop by the local Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com) shop and oogle all the nice toys. I picked up some T tracks for a benchtop router table I'm building (http://plansnow.com/dn3060.html)

My son (10) helped me clean up the garage/workshop for a bit and showed him around the tools and instructed him on tool safety.

Tony De Masi
09-24-2007, 5:41 PM
You certainly are right Dennis. Just wish I could get to see more of him.

Tony

Jim Becker
09-24-2007, 8:21 PM
Not a whole lot of shop type time this weekend, although I did get a few minutes to spray a few more coats of finish on the vanity doors. Saturday was consumed by karate and swimming at the Y (my week to take the girls) and a trip out to Expo to see a particular vessel sink we are considering for the vanities...followed by family dinner out at Johnny Carinos next door to Expo. Sunday morning I did get in the shop as noted above, but the rest of the day and evening entailed visiting and eating with our friends Seth, George and their son Jeremiah to see their new home after moving down from Boston. (A wonderful Federalist/Victorian half-house in NJ...high ceilings; big moldings; wonderful old oak floors, etc.)

Oh, the septic folks started on Saturday, taking down two poplar trees...boards on the hoof, anyone?

John Shuk
09-24-2007, 8:51 PM
Returned from a trip to the Bay Islands of Honduras I took with my brother Sunday am. Very tired. Had a week of fun and underwater adventure. Alot of diving, some zip lining, a bit of adult beverage at night, and lots of drooling over local trees and lumber. There were alot of turnings for sale there made from different exotics. I couldn't buy the blanks for the prices of the turned pieces here at home. The Hotel I stayed at was having some dead trunks of Acacia trees cut down. I only wish I had a way to get it home. that would have been a found wood gloat. It was very nice to return to the USA however. I definately count my blessings after seeing the conditions of some other countries.
By the way. Honduras isn't the kind of place to leave your hotel room door open for very long without getting some visitors.

Rick de Roque
09-24-2007, 9:58 PM
Good Morning...well...it's probably near lunch time for some of you.
24 Sep 2007

I have been busy working on the kitchen table project and it took me almost 2-1/2 days just to figure out how to cut 90 degree tenons on a table skirt piece that is all "curved" and no straight sections at all. I thought I was going to blow a gasket trying to figure this one out. I understand that doing curved work is an essential part of a woodworkers skillset, but there isn't a lot of info out the net about how to build a table skirt via the "brick-stack" method, or how to vacuum veneer a curved piece like this. It's projects like this where I learn a LOT about various woodworking techniques but it's also times like this where I loose a LOT of time in researching, head-scratching, ordering a video that would hopefully help me "make it through the night" on veneering work and such as that.

Any way, I'm back to finishing up the joinery on the curved skirting and I should be ready for table base glue up tomorrow and I'm hoping to be ready for applying a finish to this table by next week.

For some strange reason, I keep getting kitchen table to build for people and I have one to build out of 40 year old Walnut for a neighbor down the street.

Let's just say that life has been "interesting" with family issues and woodworking issues, but as I always say......"this didn't come to stay, but it came to pass....".

I'm still employed at the day job and I appreciate all of you that had me in your thoughts and prayers.

So what did YOU do this weekend??????

Best of weeks to you all.

Dennis,
I've got some curved laminations coming up this winter and would like to know how you set up for the curved vacuum. Your setup looks great.

Rick

Don Bullock
09-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, my shop time ended up being spent at the dog shows this wekend. One of the AKC Champions, that we bred, was Best of Breed both days defeating a total of about 80 basset hounds. This meant we stayed for the Hound Group later in the day both days. For those who don't know about dog shows, each breed of hound competes in the Hound Group after the Best of Breed for each breed is selected. Basset hounds usually don't do well in the group competition mainly because they are not as "flashy" as many of the other hound breeds. On Saturday we didn't even make the cut (the judge pulled out seven) much less one of the four places in the group. Sunday was a different story. Our girl (basset hound) was selected as first in the Hound Group. She was considered by the judge to be the best of all the hound breeds at the show. We've placed in the Hound Group before, but nothing higher than third place. For a basset hound to be first in the Hound Group, especially in Southern California, is very rare and a great honor. Our girl was being shown by a nonprofessional handler who is one of her breeder/owners which makes the win even better. Yes, we are very excited!:D

Here's a picture of our girl, Champion Woebgon's Kickapoo Joy Juice ("Joy") from another show: