PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Floor - Cutting Door Jam

Bob Moyer
09-24-2007, 8:43 AM
What do you recommend to cut the bottom of the door jam for harwood floor installation. I looked at the Bosch 1640VS, $99.95 at Lowes; what other uses would I have for this saw? I read somewhere that a Japanese hand saw would work, is this a better alternative and if so what would you recommend.

Thanks!

Tony De Masi
09-24-2007, 8:49 AM
Bob, don't remember what model it is, but I use a Stanley offset saw for this job. You can swivel the blade and lock it for use in both directions. Works very well and a heck of a lot cheaper than $100.

Tony

Maurice Ungaro
09-24-2007, 8:51 AM
Bob,
I've used one of these with good success: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5322

It is also reversable, via a spring loaded button that lets you pivot the handle to the other end of the blade.

Mike Goetzke
09-24-2007, 9:01 AM
Bob - I used the saw Maurice mentioned. Depending on how many doors you have I would highly recommend buying the Bosch (wish I did) - even if you sell it when you are done. The hand saws go through softwoods pretty fast but not hardwood.

I don't know if you have a rotozip w/ angle grinder attachment but just yeaterday I see they now offer an attachment for it for cutting door jams.

Mike

Jamie Buxton
09-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Yup, a japanese pull saw is just the ticket -- the kind without a backing rib on the back edge. You put a scrap piece of flooring down on the floor by the jamb. Then you put the saw down flat on the scrap, and cut into the jamb. Cut the jambs before you get close with your flooring installation, so you have room for your knuckles while you're cutting. Works like a champ.

Bob Moyer
09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Yup, a japanese pull saw is just the ticket -- the kind without a backing rib on the back edge. You put a scrap piece of flooring down on the floor by the jamb. Then you put the saw down flat on the scrap, and cut into the jamb. Cut the jambs before you get close to with your flooring installation, so you have room for your knuckles while you're cutting. Works like a champ.

Can you supply a link, model, photo, Thank you!

Jamie Buxton
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Can you supply a link, model, photo, Thank you!

Here's an example. If you don't like this one, many online catalogs offer similar saws.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=15%2E130%2E40&dept_id=13088

Tom Hargrove
09-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I also use a pull saw for this work. I bought an Irwin, model number 213103, at a bigbox store for less than $20. It works great, and I don't worry about wrecking an expensive sawblade if I hit a nail, old plaster bits or other materials inside the wall. A nice feature is the removable handle, which allows me to pack the entire saw in my box or bag without the handle sticking out.

Irwin's website states that the saw is designed for trimming door jambs and for other utilty cutting. On the downside, while the blade comes well sharpened from the factory, but is not designed to be re-sharpened when it dulls.

Jeff Patrick
09-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Fein Multimaster. These things will adapt to anything. Once you have one, you'll constantly find new uses for it. They'll even sand wood OK, but I use mine for that only very rarely.

Bob Childress
09-24-2007, 3:31 PM
What do you recommend to cut the bottom of the door jam for harwood floor installation. I looked at the Bosch 1640VS, $99.95 at Lowes; what other uses would I have for this saw? I read somewhere that a Japanese hand saw would work, is this a better alternative and if so what would you recommend.

Thanks!

Call around and see if you can rent a Crain undercut saw (Jamb saw) in your area for half a day. You will have all the jambs cut in about 30 minutes or less and easy on your muscles. :)

Josiah Bartlett
09-24-2007, 3:48 PM
Its only a matter of time before Harbor Freight comes out with one of those.

Jude Herr
09-24-2007, 6:46 PM
I'd use the Fein Multimaster as well. Especially if your door jambs are like mine and they butt up next to the wall. The tool is a bit pricey (start $200) but they do more than just cut. They can sand, polish and even cut the grout out of tile. Bosch is supposed to come out with it's own version of the MultiMaster this fall, which will undoubtedly be less expensive but Fein makes a great product.
it's really worth the money for such a multi-purpose tool.

Jude Herr
09-24-2007, 6:48 PM
here's a Multimaster for $180:
http://www.toolking.com/fein_msx-636-2.aspx

Jim Newman
09-24-2007, 6:58 PM
I cut several of my oak jambs with my Fein Multimaster as well, but you have to have the correct woodcutting blade. I also find a ton of uses for my multimaster as well....when you need it...nothing else comes close.

Jim

Bob Michaels
09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Fein MultiMaster. Really an incredible tool.

Rob Luter
09-25-2007, 7:37 AM
I went with the inexpensive Irwin pull saw from the Borg. It has both fine and coarse tooth forms on opposite sides. I had to cut about a dozen jambs and it worked great.

FYI - It's not "if" you'll hit a nail, plaster, or other nasty stuff, it's "when". For me, "when" was immediately. I'm glad I went cheap.

Jim Kountz
09-25-2007, 9:01 AM
Fein MultiMaster. Really an incredible tool.

Ahh Fein, the Festools of the 90's. Anyone remember when they were the "IN" tool to have? Funny....The multimaster is one great tool though.

Craig D Peltier
09-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Ive used the Bosch electric flush cut saw for a few things already and I have only had it for 2 months. One thing I like is it comes with three blades and the blades are reversible on what side of saw you want them on.
I used them for cutting trim off a wall in the middle of it so a built in could fit.
Ive used it to cut hardwood floor , again so a built in could fit.
I have used it to trim shims.
I have also used it to cut out particle board under a toekick where no other saw could reach when ripping up a floor for tiling.

Ive heard thye come in handy for door jambs also, I have no experience with that though.
I bought mine from amazon I think for $109 shipped.

Lou Ferrarini
09-25-2007, 1:18 PM
Use the right tool for the right job. HD by me rents jamb saws that are desigend to do that job right. I did 6 rooms of door jambs in about 30 minutes. Rental fee: about $20.00 for a half day!

Jim Chilenski
09-25-2007, 2:57 PM
I was just wondering if you could use a biscuit cutter to do this. With the proper sized spacer under it, and two or three plunges with moves..........

Jim :D

Bob Childress
09-25-2007, 3:12 PM
I was just wondering if you could use a biscuit cutter to do this. With the proper sized spacer under it, and two or three plunges with moves..........

Jim :D

Crud. The next person will want to be doing it with a Domino. :rolleyes: :D :D :D