PDA

View Full Version : Prize Pig...

Raymond Overman
09-24-2007, 8:39 AM
This past weekend I participated in my first juried art and craft show. It was a local home town affair but had a lot of talented artists and a pretty good turn out in the cooler early part of the day.

I had to choose a piece to be judged and was really conflicted because I wasn't really familiar with what was accepted. Against the advice of my wife, I chose the pictured piece and as you can see, it took first place in the master craft category.

I received the plaque, a blue ribbon, and a little monetary award. It couldn't have been a better day.

The piece is cherry and ebony and measures in at 7" from foot to finial and 7" from handle to spout. Of course, no one's going to be drinking tea out of it any time soon. I plan on doing a series of these. This is the second one I have done. The first went to my mother for a birthday present.

Comments and critiques welcome. I know the photos aren't the best. they were taken on site at the show.

Ron Coleman
09-24-2007, 9:12 AM
Congrats Ray on the first win! It's really nice to get the first one under your belt.

Here's to many more.:)

Ron

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2007, 9:29 AM
Congrats Raymond. That is a pretty piece and deserving of a first place. Well done. I got my first Grand Champion this year in the local home town affair.

Gary DeWitt
09-24-2007, 9:36 AM
Too cool, Ray! Congrats.

Tony De Masi
09-24-2007, 9:40 AM
Congrats Ray. Outstanding piece.

Tony

Paul Engle
09-24-2007, 9:51 AM
Lets see what's they say when you belt one outta the park .....
oh yea it's ...
SCORRRRREEEEEEEE.
Wait thats Soccer...
TOUCH DOWN ...
No thats the other Soccer ....

Nice job Ray , but don't cross swmbo she'll have that monetary reward spent on something no where close to wood working ....;) :D

Neal Addy
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Congrats Ray! Very whimsical! I like the detail work.

Mike Vickery
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Beautiful piece Raymond. Plus now you can harass the wife that you were right ;-)

Brett Baldwin
09-24-2007, 3:26 PM
Congrats Raymond.

I'd definitely let your wife know all about who was right. Mike has plenty of room on his couch and the dog isn't excessively vicious!;)

mike fuson
09-24-2007, 3:33 PM
Congrats! Give this one to Moma too... Might be a free dinner involved down the road, and nobody cooks like Moma.;)

Jim Becker
09-24-2007, 5:35 PM
Very kewel piece, Raymond!! Congratulations on the prize, too!

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2007, 5:57 PM
Congrats on the winning piece Raymond!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Way to go Raymond! Very interesting piece....unusual....interesting!

Allen Neighbors
09-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Nice whimsical teapot, for sure. Well done!! Congratulations!
Now, contrary to what those two Arizona boys told you, kiss sweetie, and say, "Honey Pie, Sweetie, I'm so sorry that your were mistaken... You can keep the monetary reward, if it'll make you feel better." ... grovel, grovel....
Plan ahead, Raymond... it'll eventually pay off... big time.

Richard Madison
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey, y'all. Probably the piece that Raymond's sweetie liked would have won first prize too. Love the squiggly top.

Terry Quiram
09-25-2007, 6:36 AM
Well done Raymond. Congratulations on a well deserved award.

Terry

Raymond Overman
09-25-2007, 7:37 AM
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I actually leaned towards this piece as my choice because of my brother-in-law. He's a landscape architect and has a good eye for design. I had asked for input on which piece to take on my blog (http://www.nakedwoodturner.com) and he had some good reasons for his choice I thought.

As for some of your advice with the LOML, I think I better pass. October 5th is our five year anniversary and I'd like to make it until then. On the other hand, Jenny stays out of my wood turning business mostly except for an occasional, "I like it," or "That's interesting."

We've even got the money part worked out so that she has a little side job that brings in money for her that I don't have a say in and she doesn't have a say in my wood turning take. That makes it really easy for us when I want to go buy a tool that I probably don't need or she wants to go buy a new pair of fancy flip flops with ribbons velcro'd on them.

Again, thanks for the compliments.

Glenn Hodges
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Smart judges, congratulations.