PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Eliminate Soot Stains

Zvi Grinberg
09-24-2007, 3:08 AM
Hi All

When we cut a double layered plastics for signs and with white top layer and black bottom. We are looking for a way to avoid the soot remains of the vector cut.

We tried with or without air assist and also used spacers to raise the board from flat plate. BTW, the raster marking is OK.

Does anyone here have experience with similar material?
Is there a brand that stand above others?
Is there any trick?

Thanks in advance

Zvi

Mike Null
09-24-2007, 7:54 AM
Zvi,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a little more information regarding the material, thickness and type.

When you say double layer do you mean laminated engraving plastic such as is used for signs and name tags?

As a general rule I leave the air assist off for rastering this material but on for cutting. I also use settings that are just enough to do the job and not more.

Joe Pelonio
09-24-2007, 7:58 AM
I apply transfer tape after engraving and before cutting, the "soot" will be on the transfer tape not on the plastic. Just peel it off after.

Mike Trenshaw
09-24-2007, 8:48 AM
We have dealt with this problem since forever. We just use a paper towel with some of a product called "Oops" which is a paint cleaner, and also spray a smidge of WD-40 on that same towel. It works great and helps eliminate that sticky edge as well.

-Mike

Zvi Grinberg
09-25-2007, 4:36 AM
I thank you guys for jumping in to assist.

From the comments I received so far, I gather (unless told otherwise) that the solution is somewhere pre or post the laser process, but actually nothing that someone was able to do at the laser process.

Writing this, I wonder if it would work if I found an easily removable sprayable coating that would not disturb the raster engraving.

Any idea?

I would also like to thank you guys for the warm welcome. I am new here, but I am hoping to be able to contribute.

Zvi

Bill Cunningham
09-25-2007, 7:54 PM
Methol Hydrate takes it right off...