PDA

View Full Version : Festool RS 2

Greg Pavlov
09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
I decided to initiate my new RS 2 a few days ago on a walnut table top that needs refinishing. Never having used an orbital this powerful before, I went for the discretion over valor route and hit a scrap piece of wood first with 120 Brilliant. It seemed fine, so I lowered the orbit rate to 4 (seemed to be the way to go per Festool's setting suggestions) and went at the table. The sander started crabbing off to the right. It did this several times. I increased the orbit rate to 6 or so and applied some pressure and the sander generally settled down but every minute or so seemed to try to pull towards the right. After making several passes I went to 180 grit and things got better still but never as smooth as I expected.

I'm assuming that this is operator error, but I thought I'd check. I had read that I should put the minimum amount of pressure on the sander and just let it do its work. But maybe I was taking Jerry Work's "No downward pressure is needed and none is desirable" too literally. And it also looks like orbit rate makes a difference. Am I doing something wrong?

tom crawford
09-24-2007, 12:35 AM
I do not have that particular sander but do have other Festool sanders. Do you have a vacuum connected to the sander? I find I have a similar problem, particularly with the ETS125, if I have the CT22 dust collector set to full vacuum. If I lower the vacuum all the way the problem goes away yet all dust is collected. You might also try posting yout question at
festoolusersgroup dot com

Greg Pavlov
09-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks. Yes, the RS 2 was connected to a CT22 with the dial set to the halfway point, which was based on stuff I'd read. I lowered it a bit, which didn't make any difference that I noticed. I hadn't thought of dialing it back all the way, thinking I wouldn't get effective dust pickup, but if no one else thinks that anything's wrong, I'll try that next time.

Gary Keedwell
09-24-2007, 6:40 AM
Greg...let us know how you make out as I have had my eye on that
sander for months:)
Gary K.

Emmanuel Weber
09-24-2007, 7:47 AM
Greg,

When I use the RS2 I do not need to lower the CT22 speed. I grab the sander with two hands and barely put any pressure. Unless I am sanding a finish (which I barely never do with the RS2) I always use the maximum orbit rate of 6.
I use the front hand to steer the sander and always keep the sander close to me so I always have full control of the beast.
The more resistance (lower grit, change in grain direction) the more chance the sander will want to take its own course.

Emmanuel

Greg Pavlov
09-24-2007, 9:24 AM
Greg,

When I use the RS2 I do not need to lower the CT22 speed. .....[etc]
Emmanuel
Thanks. I had the top up pretty high so my angle to it wasn't ideal. I'm going to sand a birch top next and it will be at a better height (it *better* be, it's the top of my workbench...), so I should be able to keep better control of it. If not I'll take it back to the store and ask them to try it out.

Bob Marino
09-24-2007, 9:39 AM
Greg,

Keep the speed high, vac moderate suction. Also, the brushes need to be worn in. As that happens, the sander will become smooooother.

Bob