PDA

View Full Version : cheap digital height guage Makita planer 2012NB

Jerry Allen
09-23-2007, 7:13 PM
I picked up a couple of cheap composite digital calipers at HF not noticing that they are only accurate to .01. I would have returned them and got the stainless version which are accurate to .005. But I figured I might as well try using them for a hieght gauge on my planer just for the heck of it.
The height mechanisms on the Makita are rough at best. I usually use a digital caliper manually when I plane.
.01 is pretty small however and for the most part it's better than I can do using the built in guages.
I only drilled one hole in the boss at the left bottom of the moving carriage (#10 screw). I used the the existing hole at the bottom left side, the one with the hex cap screw. Cut up a couple of 3 inch corner brackets and drilled some holes for #8 screws in the caliper to mount it and one .25" hole to mount the bottom bracket to the cap screw on the side. I had to remove the lower inside measurement blade on the caliper to clear the mounting bracket. Since it's composite, it cuts and drills very easy.
Not quite done, and need to make some thumb knobs. Right now it's calibrated to zero on the planer head and that's the way I used it today.
If I use it for a relative measurement by zeroing it where it is I will need to remove the sliding electronics head so I can bottom it and reset to absolute zero and then move the slider back and reattach it.

A better method is to use the Grizzly H8133. It has zeroing and offset buttons, is stainless and reads horizontally for $40. I might try that next time. In the meanwhile this has worked pretty well so far. Definitely not a Wixey, but I have about $8 into it and it makes using the planer a lot easier.

As a side note even if you don't try this, note the V cut in the top edge of the stock red height pointer. It makes it a lot easier to see which line it is actually pointing to. Just file a notch with a triangular file.

keith ouellette
09-24-2007, 6:42 PM
if it stays accurate it is very clever. I am going to give it a try with my planer.

frank shic
09-24-2007, 7:20 PM
wow, i'm surprised that nissim hasn't posted this one! thanks for the tip.

Jerry Allen
09-25-2007, 8:14 PM
Since I wrote the thread, I made both attach points use wing nuts, the top one needing a spacer to clear the guage body.
I've used it a few times already and it has stayed right on.
It's easy to calibrate using the top bar. I have only done it once. Yesterday I tried using a relative measurement, zeroing it at about 1.5" and making a couple of 1/32" cuts. The main reason I did that was to see how easy it would be to reset absolute zero. I had anticipated loosening the top wing nut but instead loosened to bottom one, moved it up to closed, pressed the zero button, moved it back down and tightened it. It is less likely to mess up the bottom attachment bar, although the top one is very tight. The alignment did not change from it's original setting.
For the most part, I have just been watching the gauge as I turn the crank, so using relative zero really hasn't been necessary.

I also added a two inch thick foam protector block on the left side of the planer to prevent bumping into the gauge when I am moving it around or folding up the mobile table. If anyone wants detail or a photo, ask.
I guess I shouldn't have put 'Makita planer' in the title. This would be pretty easy to accomplish on any planer. It was nice to only have to drill an tap one hole on the Makita--probably the same on most planers.

Bart Leetch
09-25-2007, 8:22 PM
Grizzly also has a dial type direct reading fractional caliper wouldn't this work too? Its what I have in my apron when I am planing material.

Maurice Ungaro
09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I like how the blue color almost matches the Makita!

Jerry Allen
09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Bart,
I don't see why not, as long as you can drill some holes or clamp it for mounting. Clamps to grab the jaws would be more complex though.