PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Plumbing/Wiring

Jim Young
09-23-2007, 6:15 PM
I am getting ready to install my new aircompressr. I need to run a line from the garage to the basement. There is now way to keep the line within the confines of the house walls, I have to run it outside. What type of piping should I use. I want to run it under ground to protect it a little from the outside elements.

I also need to run the wiring along with the piping outside. Is there something special I need to do tothe wire, or is there an outside wire that I would need?

Ben Grunow
09-23-2007, 7:41 PM
Soft copper is suitable for direct burial (same as water line) so that is the obvious choice AFAIK. Black iron can be buried but must be wrapped in a protective tape and it is much more work than just soldering a couple ends.

You can run any wire type you like (simple romex is the usual) as long as it is in conduit with inspection/pull boxes where it exits the garage and enters the house.

Jim Becker
09-23-2007, 9:30 PM
I agree with Ben...type K (soft) copper would be relatively easy to route since it's bendable, yet it has the thicker wall construction that is preferred for this application.

Randy Denby
09-24-2007, 1:06 AM
I'd use the plastic grey PVC for the electrical line . Be sure to buy the long sweep 90's as its too challenging (sometimes impossible) to try and feed thru the short radius 90's. Also.....romex is not easily pulled thru conduit so use single stranded wires with appropriate color choices, gauge and number of wires that you need.
Copper (not the thin wall) is a very good choice for the air lines...just try and not make any joints underground if you can help it. Helps to find leaks if the joints are exposed....which is where leaks usually develop.The only problem I can see is condensate /moisture trapment in the line, without a means to drain it out. The air pressure will blow out most, but there is still some that wont "blow" out.This is why airlines are best overhead, as gravity will help drain any moisture down to a blow out valve.Of course, if you dont use a spray rig, this will be less of a problem,since you dont have to worry about contamination. You probably know alot of what I've stated....just want to cover some bases.

Good luck!

David G Baker
09-24-2007, 8:33 AM
Jim,
Not sure how the moisture in the underground air line will respond to Michigan's cold climate. I would think about burying the air line below the frost line and insulating the pipe with foam, especially where it enters and leaves the soil.