PDA

View Full Version : to Thomas Barron

keith ouellette
09-23-2007, 5:56 PM
I would say for the money it is a good jointer. There is some vibration but I believe that can be mostly solved with belt and pully adjustments. It is much better than the Yorkcraft I sent back to wilke (do go there. They have grizzly knock offs and a bad return policy) and its better than the 12in jointer that was on my combo machine (also sent back). I have had bad luck with tools:mad:. Back to the Grizzly. I am by far no expert but I would say the table adjustments are pretty fine. The cut is smooth. I don't care for the height adjustment; a crank would be better. I would deffinetly stick with the parralel table. On the dove tail type you can't change the tables paralel to one another with the jib screws very well at all.

Thomas Barron
09-23-2007, 7:39 PM
Thanks...the parallel is supposed to cut much better due to the bed staying close to the cutters.

I have a lead on an older Delta 8" Model 37-315 here in Houston for $ 750, but it does not have a rolling base or new knives. It has the hand crank (non-parallel) The Grizzly to my door is $ 935.00.

The difference of around $200 goes a long way, but I want to make sure I get the most for my money.

Again, thanks for your input.

keith ouellette
09-23-2007, 7:46 PM
remember. The dovetail ways can wear down and the only way to level the tables is with shims(or so I've been told) because the two parts slide against each other as you adjust the table. I know 200 is a lot but the jointer is your most important machine next to the table saw. its how you make wood flat and straight. Good Luck and Good Sopping.