PDA

View Full Version : Source for honeycomb core material

Greg Wandless
02-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I want to make some torsion box type shelves and I am looking for a place to buy some paper honeycomb core material. I found several manufacturers of the stuff on the Web but can't seem to find out where to buy it.

Anybody have a source?

Thanks,
Greg

Dave Avery
02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
http://www.vacupress.com/accessories.htm#honeycomb

Greg Wandless
02-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks Dave!!

Jamie Buxton
02-02-2004, 3:41 PM
Greg ---
I've made torsion boxes with that paper honeycomb stuff, and I suggest you don't make your shelves that way. The paper honeycomb is remarkably expensive, particularly when you add in the shipping. Vacupress says that their shipper classes it as "oversize" and charges extra for it. Another drawback with the honeycomb is that it is available in only a few thicknesses. If your design wants something else, you're hosed.
Instead of paper honeycomb, I make my own spacing grid from wood. I use plywood strips standing on edge. I arrange them in a rectangular grid. At every intersection I cut a slot halfway through each strip. That is, each strip runs the full length or full width of the grid. The slots aren't joints, they're just clearance. I strap the strips together with masking tape and gang-cut all the slots at once. If you use 1/8" plywood, you can cut the slots with a standard tablesaw blade.
You can whip out this grid so quickly that the pre-made stuff has no advantages -- IMHO.

Jamie