PDA

View Full Version : first Burl

Larry Crim
09-23-2007, 4:27 PM
I really do not get to spend too much time on the lathe but love it when I get a chance to spend a few hours on it. This is the first thing I have made out of burl, I picked up a small burl in June and finally got around to spinning it, there was more waste than I cared for due to the shape of the burl but I have some small chunks to do something else with. This is about my 5th completed bowl and I found it easier to turn and sand the burl than other woods that I have tried. Wish I could afford to turn with it all the time.
bowl is Hard Maple 6.75" X 2.5" sealed with shellac and BLO no clear coat yet.
any critique is welcome
Thanks
Larry

Pete Jordan
09-23-2007, 4:52 PM
Great job Larry!

I love what you did with it!

Clem Wixted
09-23-2007, 5:17 PM
Larry,

You sure do nice work. Your burl bowl is as nice as your flat work.

Do you have plans for the fly tying desk you made that you showed me when you were here?

Clem

Glenn Hodges
09-23-2007, 5:23 PM
That is striking wood. You picked a beautiful way to show it with this bowl.

Shane Whitlock
09-23-2007, 5:38 PM
Great looking bowl ... Beautiful wood!

Happy Turnings,
Shane Whitlock

Larry Crim
09-23-2007, 6:40 PM
Larry,

You sure do nice work. Your burl bowl is as nice as your flat work.

Do you have plans for the fly tying desk you made that you showed me when you were here?

Clem

Thanks all for the comments. I am still unsure of the clear I am going to use I am leaning towards armor seal clear.

Clem I think this is the one I showed you if it is I just did it as I went along but I have plenty of pics if you need it and I can draw up some basic plans from memory if you need them just let me know.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26619

Neal Addy
09-23-2007, 6:48 PM
Nice work! Beautiful wood too.

Tom Sherman
09-23-2007, 8:36 PM
Nice job on that burl Larry.

Mike A. Smith
09-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Good one Larry, I like the classic shape.