PDA

View Full Version : 3:2:1 Assembly Boxes

Ken Stevens
09-23-2007, 3:31 PM
I have been wanting to build this idea that I saw in one of the magazines several years ago. The dimensions result in a convenient way to get an assembly surface, 12, 24, or 36 inches high. The original idea, as I remember it, took ply sheets and cut out holes, but I did a layout and determined that I could get two boxes out of one 4x8 sheet rather than 2 sheets for the "hole cutout" approach.

These are simply 3 inch wide ripped strips that are cut into the proper lengths and screwed together with PH screws. They are plenty strong. One of the pics below shows where I clamped two together with some 2x2s. Very strong and stable. This would make an excellent large assembly surface. One of the pics show me using the first box to help assemble the second box.

While I expected these to be convenient, I was somewhat surprised unexpectedly at how convenient they were. Plenty of clamping surfaces, plus, it was easy to "pivot" the box around one of its corners, and it acted like it was on a turntable. Very easy to stay next to my bench where I could reach tools and screws, yet "get at" any angle for putting in the pocket screws.

Sharp eyes might notice that both boxes are not identical. When doing the first, I cut four of the final long elements too short and rather than throw them away, I altered the design to make short cross braces. I was more careful on the second box, and the original design (no short cross braces in the 12" sides) seems a little more desirable although both will work fine.

If I have any complaint, it is that they could be a little heavier. They seem very stable and certainly can support heavy loads. Wider strips or the cutout method would make them heavier but might require more than one 4x8 sheet per two boxes.

I will post a SU file showing the basic design using three methods: the cutout approach, using 2x4s, using 3" wide strips ripped from a 4x8 panel.

Ken

Ken Stevens
09-23-2007, 3:40 PM
As promised, SketchUp file of my layouts for the assembly boxes. This shows the "original" Cutout approach, an approach using 2x4s, and the approach shown in the above message using 3" ripped strips.

Ken

IAFF Brian
09-23-2007, 3:58 PM
Well done! FYI the film industry uses a very similar box but they call it an apple box, or apple crate. http://www.appleboxes.net/ will give some pics. I mention this cause on several occasions I have seen filming crews make them for a shoot and then just trash them at the end of the filming session, never hurts to take a peak in the trash pile for film productions... youd be amazed at what they throw away to avoid the hassle of shipping back from a location shoot. Last film I worked on was years ago but I ended up with a brand new table saw, grinder, entertainment center, and tons of smaller stuff the crew was gonna toss.

Roland Chung
09-23-2007, 4:05 PM
Regarding the film industry-I was working on a studio lot as a carpenter when I saw these two glass guys delivering a large glass table top for an executive's conference table. When they stopped to rest, they set it down a little too hard on a surface that they must have thought was rubber. It turned out to be some crazy hard commercial tile and it put a tiny chip in the edge of the table. I later noticed it sticking up out of a dumpster. I always regret not retrieving that.