PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker QLA420A-??????? Porter Cable.

Brian Weick
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
:confused: I am in the process of getting a new lift on life:D , a router lift that is. I would like to get an opinion on the Woodpecker QLA420A - +/- . How is the construction and accuracy of the lift and problems. I can get this for $249.00 and free shipping which I think is a good price. I looked at Jessem's router lift at Rockler - was ok but I like the quick lift feature woodpeckers QL model has. Look forward to your input
Thank you :)
Brian

Alister Orme
09-23-2007, 3:42 PM
I just ordered a Jessem following a lead on another forum.

After ordering a $14 screwdriver from Amazon the lift was ordered as a power tool accessory and came out at a tad over $150.00 with the stacking 20% and 25%

this also worked on the bench dog lift on amazon too!

Not what you asked ...but maybe useful?

Dick Rowe
09-24-2007, 5:32 AM
Brian,

I recently installed the Woodpecker QL and a PC 7518 router.

The fit/finish and construction of the lift are exceptional, in my opinion.

The accuracy is excellent ... incredibly precise adjustments are possible, and repeatable.

The quick lift feature is the primary reason I bought this unit over a Jessum, and it works as advertised.

I'm very happy with the quick lift and can easily recommend it to others.

Chris Rosenberger
09-24-2007, 8:00 AM
I started out with a Woodpecker PRL in my router table. I added a QL420A to my tablesaw extension. I liked it so well I got another QL420A to to replace the PRL.
Woodcraft has the Quick Lift on sale for $212.49.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5896

Brian Weick
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Thank you for the input, I do like the Jessem model - but the one feature the QL offers I think Will sway me. The Quick Lift on the WP is what I was after but I a was unsure if the precision was diminished because of that. Thank you very much for your input- better to talk with those that own them and get an educated opinion.
Thank you!:)
Brian

Benjamin Dahl
09-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Brian, I have been very happy with my QL as well. The woodpecker customer service is excellent as well in case you have any questions.
Ben

Kevin Johnson
09-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Quick Lift here as well. It is very precise and I have been happy with it.

Brian Weick
09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Dick,Chris Ben and Kevin
:confused: After looking at the construction, and I know you said it was solid and precise- the legs of the QL design are offset - does that affect the raising and lowering of the router- any binding issues- they don't have a picture of the underside?
Brian

Eric Gustafson
09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
I own the QL-350A for the Porter cable 890 (same design.) It has worked well and I like it, but I did have one problem. The support posts became loose from the plate. The screws are loctited, so I do not understand how they became loose. I had to back them all the way out to loosen the loctite and then retighten. It is now tight and secure. Otherwise I am happy with the lift.

Dick Rowe
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Brian,

I have experience no binding of any kind.

The only thing I noticed with the setup is that you have to 'fiddle' with the PC 7518 router to get it centered in the lift the first time. It wants to sit in there a certain way.

Once loaded it has worked fine, and I haven't noticed any shifting whatsoever.

Gary Chester
09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I have that QL with the PC, I've only had them for a couple of months and haven't spent that much time with them, but I like 'em.

The router runs a bit hot, but that's another subject...

Chris Rosenberger
09-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I have not had any binding at all. They move up & down very well.

Cary Swoveland
09-24-2007, 1:08 PM
I just ordered a Jessem following a lead on another forum.

After ordering a $14 screwdriver from Amazon the lift was ordered as a power tool accessory and came out at a tad over $150.00 with the stacking 20% and 25%

this also worked on the bench dog lift on amazon too!...

Several of us jumped at this deal. I just got the Bench Dog ProLift (and $15 Dremel engraver). I had planned to get the Jointech with the digital readout, largely because I mainly work in metric. Given the rave reviews of the ProLift, however, I couldn't pass up the $180 price ($325 - 45%).

Cary

Brian Weick
09-24-2007, 10:29 PM
I started out with a Woodpecker PRL in my router table. I added a QL420A to my tablesaw extension. I liked it so well I got another QL420A to to replace the PRL.
Woodcraft has the Quick Lift on sale for $212.49.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5896

Thank you very much Chris- I'm ordering tomorrow- thanks for the thread and that price is very good! I appreciate all of your opinions,very much - that quick change option on the WP is what did it for me, along with the durability and precision that you expressed about the WP QL420A, :)
Brian

glenn bradley
09-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Dick,Chris Ben and Kevin
:confused: After looking at the construction, and I know you said it was solid and precise- the legs of the QL design are offset - does that affect the raising and lowering of the router- any binding issues- they don't have a picture of the underside?
Brian

I have not bought one yet but have been researching the same question about stability, rigidity, etc. Everyone seems to like it and to top it off folks who have the PRL as well and work them side by side notice no difference. That pretty much has me sold. Well, that and the fact that it'll fit my Milwaukee without adapters (QL-410).

Brian Weick
09-26-2007, 2:24 PM
Apparently they are closing this model out- I talked with the tech department at woodcraft and the gentleman didn't really have any information as to what is replacing it. He said there is nothing wrong with the unit and it actually is a very good model!there are 66 left, now 65:D and the small is sold out on the web site, individual stores may carry them, but you have to call, there will be a replacement on this model but as of yet there really isn't any information on it.
I had 2 options- drive to Rochester, NY 1-1/2hr trip each way and get it directly, but pay NY 8.75 sales tax which comes out to $231.08 + the gas $22.00 round trip + $2.10 x 2 = $4.20 in tolls with a grand total of $257.28 vs delivery 2-4 days $212.49 + $13.25 shipping and no tax = $225.74 that's a savings of $31.54. It pays to be an educated consumer! I can afford that kind of wait. 12.2% more for the same lift if I pick it up-not to mention the 3-1/2 hr loss when I could be doing other things in the shop that need attention ~ do the math/time factor. I can't wait to get her nestled in the table!:D
Brian

Brian Weick
09-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I ordered the WP420 QL yesterday, it came today- holy *&^)*!
Fed-Ex! Nice lift,,,,,,,,, very nice~ I'm putting that next to my stapler!:eek:
Brian