PDA

View Full Version : what type oil for cutting board ?

aurelio alarcon
02-02-2004, 12:17 AM
what type of oil is good for a kitchen cutting board?

Dezri Dean
02-02-2004, 1:12 AM
I've used mineral oil numerous times. It won't turn rancid, just needs
re-oiling once in awhile. I've also heard of folks using walnut oil although I wonder if it also might turn rancid like other vegetable based oils.
Dez

Dennis Peacock
02-02-2004, 2:13 AM

Aurelio,

I use good ol' Mineral Oil on every single cutting board I make. Care is easy by just applying another coat of MO after washing and rinsing the cutting board after several uses. The MO won't go bad on ya like other oils will....like olive oil. I have heard of others using melted parafin wax poured on HOT and let cool, then scrap off the excess.

I don't do this as the care of the board is easier for the home user by recoating with MO every once in a while. Works good.!!!

Jim Becker
02-02-2004, 8:34 AM
Another formula that's been bantered about in another forum is 6 parts mineral oil and one part paraffin applied hot and then scraped as Dennis eluded to. I'm going to try this out on an "over the sink" cutting board I have on my project plan list.

Kent Cori
02-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I use Walnut Oil on all my cutting boards, rolling pins and bowls intended for food use. It is available from most health food strores and is sold primarily as a salad dressing so it is 100% food safe. I apply it right from the bottle with a shop towel or cotton rag. Two or three coats leaves a nice satin gloss finish that is easily renewed with just another coat. It is also inexpensive. :)

Stefan Antwarg
02-02-2004, 10:15 AM
There is also Salad Bowl Oil (or something to that effect). I can't remeber the company name. I hear it is one of the more durable non-toxic finishes.

Stefan

John Miliunas
02-02-2004, 1:04 PM
Another vote for mineral oil. Cheap, easy to apply for both, myself and the eventual owner of the board and really accentuates the grain/pattern of the wood, epsecially when using contrasting, mixed woods. :cool:

Ron Jones near Indy
02-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I have made or overseen the making of dozens, if not hundreds, of cutting boards with a mineral oil finish. No complaints yet.

aurelio alarcon
02-03-2004, 12:12 AM
looks like mineral oil gets the vote! Thanks!

Aaron Heck
02-03-2004, 10:28 AM

I've used Preserve Oil and have been really happy with it.

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02006111/

Aaron

Jay Kilpatrick
02-03-2004, 11:31 AM
I've also heard of folks using walnut oil although I wonder if it also might turn rancid like other vegetable based oils.
Dez

Dezri,
Nope, walnut oil is an all natural hardening oil that can be used safely for food implements. It is safe in that it doesn't turn rancid, and does harden as a finish. It is comparitively expensive to mineral oil, and may not be safe for some with nut allergies. I've used both as both are safe and available to me.

Warmest Regards,
~Jay Kilpatrick in Dayton, Ohio