PDA

View Full Version : Slabs/Lumber from Urban trees?

RON WOOD
09-23-2007, 2:03 AM
Anyone have any luck finding lumber or slabs harvested from urban trees in the So. Cal, area? I have called a few tree trimming outfits without any luck. Then I tried contacting some city's and the city people act like they don't know what a tree is? Called the state and got lost in the press one for Spanish 2 for? maze.

Mostly I am interested in large slabs.

Thanks
Ron

Mike Cutler
09-23-2007, 5:06 AM
Too bad you're so far away Ron. A friend/co-worker just took down some 18+ diameter birch, maple and red oak trees, all of it is going to firewood.
The best source I've found for "urban wood", was family, friends and co-workers. Once people know you're interested, they tend to remember and tip you off later.

David Epperson
09-23-2007, 5:10 AM
Finding the trees hasn't been the problem here. It's finding a sawyer that will touch them - Urban trees are too prone to having nails and such in them, most sawyers don't like replacing blades that often.

David Sims
09-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Have you tried calling Wood Mizer at 1-800-553-0182 ? They will give you a list of owners in your area. At least it is a good place to start.

Jamie Buxton
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Try West Coast Arborists. http://www.wcainc.com/ Their web site shows furniture produced from urban lumber which they've cut. There's also Pacific Coast Lumber, if you're willing to drive up to San Luis Obispo http://www.pacificcoastenterprises.com/index.html .

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Anyone have any luck finding lumber or slabs harvested from urban trees in the So. Cal, area? I have called a few tree trimming outfits without any luck. Then I tried contacting some city's and the city people act like they don't know what a tree is? Called the state and got lost in the press one for Spanish 2 for? maze.

Mostly I am interested in large slabs.

Thanks
Ron

I thought all the trees in So Cal were made from advanced polymers?

At any rate if you do find one buy yourself a nice super-sensitive (usually the cheap ones are super-sensitive) metal detector - you'll need it.

It seems that people like to drive nails into urban trees for all manner of reasons.

David Epperson
09-24-2007, 2:05 PM
David
Since your reply was attached to my post, let me just say that I personally don't have the problem. I know a woodmizer sawyer that will do "urban" trees. We just have to be prepared to pay for blade damage. :D

Jerry Allen
09-24-2007, 6:01 PM
Ron,
Periodically the City of Torrance trims and removes trees. You have to pretty much be right there. Asking the office is a waste of time. They have their prescribed method and do not deviate. Usually the field foreman and workers are cool if you tell them what's up. I scored some sycamore, magnolia, and others a few years ago. Still have some pieces for turning, but I wish I had more. I live 150 miles from LA now. Unfortunately I didn't have a trailer or room back then so I was limited to pieces that fit in my Escape SUV with the seats out.
You might be able to get a dispatcher to tell you who and when they are out and track them. Or have friends alert you when something is going on in their area. Cities with maintenance yards that do their own tree work are easy. Some cities contract out to tree maintenance companies. I think Lundahl is one. Pretty much the same deal.
Most of the stuff gets shredded. And the workers pretty much get more than they could ever use.

Oh yeah, I forgot that a couple of months ago I scored some 10" and 12" dia. elm and fir logs and some 4" fruitwood branches at the dump. I was taking a load of oak branches and twigs and came home with a trailer full of logs. Been meaning to revisit the dump. Thing is you have to have some wood trash to get in there. It's free here. In LA dumps are expensive but you might make friends with a gate attendant.

Mark Williamson
09-24-2007, 6:35 PM
They cleared about 6 acres nearby with what looked like 50 yr old hickory (dar e I say 40 inches in diameter). Cut them down and fed them to shredders. Within a week the whole lot was cleared and had HUGE piles of mulch left.

Such a shame. All in the name of progress.