PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form blank questions

Marc Martindale
09-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Are there any rules about how to cut a hollow form blank (besides dimension of course)compared to a bowl blank? I cut my bowl blanks as explained on Bill G.'s website.

For example: If you have a big 30" diameter log and want a 8" diameter hollow form from it, do you want it running lengthwise with the grain, or does it even matter?

I see alot of hollow forms with a pith, is that necessary?

Also, I've had pretty good luck with the DNA drying method, does that apply to hollow forms also?

I guess you can tell my interests have pointed me toward HFs. Probably something to do with the Craft Supply Sale going on...

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Richard Madison
09-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Marc,
If I had a 30" diameter log I would sell my wife's truck and order a bigger lathe. Much bigger.

Others will follow with better advice. Good luck and happy hollowing.

Marc Martindale
09-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Marc,
If I had a 30" diameter log I would sell my wife's truck and order a bigger lathe. Much bigger.

:D I'll save that for another post.

Paul Andrews
09-23-2007, 8:27 AM
Marc,
You can cut hollow form blanks in any orientation you desire, end grain or side grain. As for the pith showing in a side grain form, it usually is done intentionally to provide a focal point. I do not use the DNA drying procedure but have heard from others that do that it works just as well with hollow forms.

Jim Becker
09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I prefer to do hollow forms in end-grain orientation...they tools used to hollow are generally much better suited to this type of cutting, too.

Marc Martindale
09-23-2007, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the tips Jim and Paul.

I have an opportunity to cut up a huge maple tree and want to get a few blanks for bowls and hollow forms.

Curt Fuller
09-23-2007, 10:06 PM
IMHO, the guy that savies hollow form orientation better than anyone I've seen is the Stinson guy. Just look at the various hollowforms on his website and try to picture all the different ways he's oriented the wood to come out with the results he gets. http://www.flyingcurls.com/Stinson.html
I think that might be the beauty in learning to hollow is being able to twist a piece of wood every which way just to see what comes out of it.

BTW, slap me across the knuckles with a 1" scraper if this link breaks the rules.:rolleyes: :eek: