PDA

View Full Version : Dagnab Computer, Need Help

Jim Young
09-22-2007, 9:56 PM
I have a problem with my computer which has outsmarted me (not saying much). It seems that every so often the internet kicks off. We have a laptop also (wireless to the same modem) but it doesn't have that problem. It only happens to the desktop. If I start up iTunes it will ask me if I want to connect so I hit yes and then the internet works again. Is there some setting somewhere that I can change? I bought a new cable for the computer to modem connection and also moved to another port, neither have helped.

I need a teenager around here to fix my computer problems.

Jim Becker
09-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Check that your computer doesn't think that your Internet service is dial-up...unless you are actually using dial-up. (That's ambiguous as you refer to a "modem" in your post. A "cable modem" or broadband router is different than a "dial-up modem") Review the "connections" in the Control Panel. Also check that some power saving feature isn't turning off your NIC. (Network Interface)

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Clear your cache and clear all cookies. See if the problem goes away. Some times that is all you'll need to do.

so often the internet kicks off. We have a laptop also (wireless to the same modem) but it doesn't have that problem. It only happens to the desktop.

First thing that occurred to me is a worm using your computer as a zombie or something. Run Task Manager and watch the Processes list and the Performance graph. If your CPU is running at a very high level of capacity (like 100%) an awful lot make a point of observing when it's doing this.

I am guessing that your CPU is running at 100% when the internet seems to stall on you. The "Performance" graphs will show this to you in Task Manager.

Is it happening when you load a particular page? Is it happening when you aren't doing anything at all. If the latter, take your HD to a shop for a de-worming. Or purchase one of the Spy-ware scrubbing programs that will do it for you. I'd make sure that whatever you buy also gets out all the spy-ware that Microsoft puts on your computer too. Most Spy-ware scrubbers won't do that.

If I start up iTunes it will ask me if I want to connect so I hit yes and then the internet works again. This is particularly baffeling - ** - unless you are closing one particular window when you do this. In that instance I'd say that it is that web page (the one you are closing) is running scripts or something and clogging your box. I will have many browser windows open at once some people don't.

Is there some setting somewhere that I can change? If the 100% CPU usage i ofccuras when loading a web page it's likely just the fact that you have a slower older CPU or not enough memory to keep pace with the flashy gee whiz internet that the 26 year old web designers are designing.

Try a different browser.

Microsoft Explorer is the worlds best (or worst depending on perspective) virus, trojan, and worm attractant - period.

Try Mozilla or Oprah. Oprah is especially good for older slower CPUs because it does not load EVERYTHING on any given web page. Oprah may speed your internet access up substantially.

You can also look at your browser settings that control how often it will "refresh " any given web page. And look in all your "advanced" options to find controls that will let you stop "scripts" from doing things.

Jim Becker
09-23-2007, 1:18 PM
Clearing "all" cookies should be a last resort if you depend upon them for things like remembering who you are at a great many sites...especially if you have the dreaded CRS (Can't Remember Stuff...) disease.

Chuck Wintle
09-23-2007, 4:24 PM
I have a problem with my computer which has outsmarted me (not saying much). It seems that every so often the internet kicks off. We have a laptop also (wireless to the same modem) but it doesn't have that problem. It only happens to the desktop. If I start up iTunes it will ask me if I want to connect so I hit yes and then the internet works again. Is there some setting somewhere that I can change? I bought a new cable for the computer to modem connection and also moved to another port, neither have helped.

I need a teenager around here to fix my computer problems.

What do you have for a modem? Sometimes it may only be a mater of configuration. If there is no activity then the modem may go into idle mode and then only reactivated when something tries to access the internet. You should be able to go into the modem settings and have a look. :D

Jim Young
09-23-2007, 6:07 PM
What do you have for a modem? Sometimes it may only be a mater of configuration. If there is no activity then the modem may go into idle mode and then only reactivated when something tries to access the internet. You should be able to go into the modem settings and have a look. :DCan't be the modem. My kid can be surfing just fine with her computer while my desk top disconnects. Both are using the same modem.

Chuck Wintle
09-23-2007, 6:08 PM
What kind of connection is it? Dial-up broadband?
What kind of desktop is it?
you bought a new cable to the modem?
You changed ports on the modem or computer?

Jim Young
09-23-2007, 6:11 PM
So your desktop is wireless to the modem?

The desk top is hard wired to the modem. Our laptop is wireless to the same modem.

Also, before I swithched modems my laptop did the same thing. I thought the old modem was too slow so I changed it out.

As mentioned above, when it does log out my desktop seems to think it is looking for a phone line. I'm not sure how to correct this.

Chuck Wintle
09-23-2007, 6:13 PM
Are you using Vista or XP?
Which browser do you use?

Jim Young
09-23-2007, 6:16 PM
Are you using Vista or XP?
Which browser do you use?

XP and IE. Both computers are using the same software.

Chuck Wintle
09-23-2007, 6:23 PM
At the top of IE click on Tools...Internet Options...Connections. Is there anything present in that box?

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-23-2007, 8:40 PM
Clearing "all" cookies should be a last resort if you depend upon them for things like remembering who you are at a great many sites...especially if you have the dreaded CRS (Can't Remember Stuff...) disease.

I store my passwords and what not in the properties section of each of the web site links I use.

Jim Young
09-23-2007, 10:02 PM
At the top of IE click on Tools...Internet Options...Connections. Is there anything present in that box?

Yes, there are two things in that box, 1) Comcast and )2 test1. I also noticed that the buttun below was set on "dial whenever a network connection is not present". I changed the button to "never dial a connection".

Karlan Talkington
09-24-2007, 3:23 PM
It is sounding a lot like the network connection is "dialing down" in that it is going idle after a while. Unchecking the "Dail whenever..." box I think may do it but I am not 100% sure. I seem to remember something about this in my years of being in the IT industry. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

As its only affecting one of your workstations, I am pretty sure its something local to that workstation and not the cable modem.

Karlan Talkington
09-24-2007, 3:31 PM
Ok.. I just remembered....

The first thing to try is to disable power management on your computer's
network adapter.
Right button click on "My Network" and click Properties. Right button click on the network adapter and click properties. In the network adaptor screen click the "configure" box next to the name of your adaptor model.
Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that says "allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use".

Alternatively you can get to the same place like this:
Go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Expand the network devices category and find your ethernet adapter. Double-click it to get its Properties.

Jim Young
09-26-2007, 8:22 PM
Just an update, it seems unclicking the dial-up box may have fixed my problem. It hasn't kicked me out for a couple of days. I'll see if it works as we get more computer time.